Comparing programs (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:00
I have 2 copies of some software. Unfortunately I don't know which is the latest version. I can't tell by the date and time stamp because it gets updated every time you go into it (is there a way of stopping that)?
I'm using access 2010.
Is there anyway to compare the 2 copies and see what the differences are.
Thanks

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 18:00
You mean two copies of an Access database?

Put in a tableVersion and update it any time you update the db structure (1.0, 7.1, etc). Make sure it's in the front end, not a linked table.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
You mean two copies of an Access database?

Put in a tableVersion and update it any time you update the db structure (1.0, 7.1, etc). Make sure it's in the front end, not a linked table.

No of the form and code. I have 2 copies of x.accdb which may be identical or I may have changed some code/forms etc. I want to be able to compare both and see if there are any changes.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
This is still the answer then. You cannot easily go back and retroactively figure out which is newer without examining your code/tables/forms, but this will make it trivial going forward.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
This is still the answer then. You cannot easily go back and retroactively figure out which is newer without examining your code/tables/forms, but this will make it trivial going forward.

I sort of do that now by putting some ( different) comments in the file comments bit. However I forgot to do it and I'm sure I made some changes but not sure. Back when I was a mainframe programmer you could easily compare different versions with compare utilities. Sounds like a big no in access?

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
You could give a Compare/Diff program a crack at it with Binary matching turned on, but I'm pretty sure you'll get garbage output... :banghead:

Only other thing I can think of is open the two side by side and compare Last Modified dates on all your database objects. That might at least narrow down which things you have to look at...

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
You could give a Compare/Diff program a crack at it with Binary matching turned on, but I'm pretty sure you'll get garbage output... :banghead:

Only other thing I can think of is open the two side by side and compare Last Modified dates on all your database objects. That might at least narrow down which things you have to look at...
Modified date would work for me. I know what date the 'old' version should be less than and the 'new' version may be greater than. So where do I find this modified date exactly?

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Sorry for the delay, work has been eating my head.

Assuming you haven't found it yet, I get it by right-clicking the object in the Navigation Pane (left edge of the screen) and picking Properties. The Database Documenter should also do it, though that report is a bit overkill for your needs, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom