Hello From Penny Blake (1 Viewer)

Lady Phoenix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:04
Good morning to you wonderful people of this Access help forum

Firstly thank you to whoever originally sat there and thought "I know, Ill build a forum ao that losers like Penny can post their stupid questions about MS Access"

So, about me? O dear, I hate these as I never know what to write while keeping it bearable.

Im 42, living in the UK, I work as a Live in Carer, big football fan (In a big way, not Im fat and I love football...well I am a touch overweight, but thats not why Im here), and I have a strange obsession with databases :)

Ive been using Lotus Approach since 1995 and at risk of recieving hate mail I love it. I managed to instal it on my old lattop running win 7 but this past week I bought a new laptop eunning win 8 and have no idea how to instal it. Since I have a monthly subscription to Office 365 I figure its time to learn.

My main database that Im now writing is a genealogy database. My main problem is that when, like me, you have thousands of records some get overlooked and as a result dont get updated. Sites like Ancestry give you hints, but if an entry has no hints and no one mails you about info its easy to overlook them.
So, my first database was very simple. Name, Forename, date I last updated the record.
Each day I could then hit a button that would sort the records into last updated order, bringing the most forgotten one to the top.
Over time I added to the database. Fields that would change the frequency of the updates, so for example, direct line ancestors would be updated more frequently than the father of the guy who married my 17th cousin 28 times removed.
Now, Im sure many of you reading this are thinking that very very simple, but to me its not. Many of the procedures are named differently, for example what in Lotus is a repeating Panel seems to be called a sub form in access, and of course the way its programmed is differently,

Well, thats abotu it for now, Im sure Ill be communicating with many of you soon as you reply to this thread and of course to many many threads that Ill be posting asking what will probably be basic questions on threads :)

shiro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:04
Welcome aboard!

clarkcovey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:04
Welcome aboard Penny!

I'm sure there are things we can learn from you as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom