Migrating (upgrading) Access 2010 to Access 2013 - issues - suggestions - comments (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 12:02
Next Week, we plan to upgrade Access 2010 to 2013
If anyone has suggestion, approval, questions: please comment.

Lucky me, we distribute with Citrix. This means that it won't matter if Access is even installed on the end-user's workstation.

Since I might be ahead of the curve for most of the people on the forum, thought it might be helpful to discuss any issues or suggestions during the process.

The Application General Description
Access 2010 Front-End has a few local tables. It has about 280 Linked tables to MS SQL Server. MS SQL Server has over a dozen Linked Server to Oracle.
A few dozen SQL Server linked tables are read-only because of extensive business rules derived by T-SQL code on the SQL Server side.
Access Front-End uses a local table with a list of the linked table. Code deletes all linked tables, then uses code to create a DSN_Less ODBC connection using SQL Server Native Client 11.0.
No Access Report objects are used. The Access application uses Excel Object Model Programming to create complex, custom reports and save them on the network.

General Process:
Step 1. For the Citrix Application Server - Office 2013 with the latest SP and Native Client 11.0
Step 2. For Developer's workstation, Office 2013 with exact same SP and Native Client 11.0
Step 3. Open empty copy of Access 2013. Import all objects from copy of Access 2010. Set Start-Up objects and other DB settings to match Access 2010 version.
Step 4. Microsoft 2013 had issues with Themes working correctly. Verify forms, buttons and other interface in 2013 works properly.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:02
Step 4. Microsoft 2013 had issues with Themes working correctly. Verify forms, buttons and other interface in 2013 works properly.
I have seen this with Access 2007, 2010, and 2013 when Access was used to save a .mdb into the new .accdb format.

I have also found that forms and report hat are having issues with themes can be repaired by saving to a text file and the loading it.

See: Backing up and Restoring Objects

Last edited:
Reactions: Rx_

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 12:02
I posted a while back that by importing all objects, the 2013 .accdb had a undocumented result. My 150 MB front-end on 2010 dropped to almost half in size..
First I was worried that something had gone wrong. But, the 2013 for our limited testing did seem to work work with all forms. The forms are all vba driven with code update, edits, deletes rather than the built in Access form level recordset.

Even on Access 2010, every so often there seems to be size bloat that the Compact and Repair didn't handle. And, ever so often some event would just cease to work. By creating a new bland Access front-end and importing all objects, thus far has fixed it.
It is probably just a habit of mine at this point.

Your Themes solution using the text file is very useful!

The Scary Thing for me this Halloween will be getting use to the new Access 2013 interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom