Office 2019 announced (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:35
I just got this info from the Office Watch newsletter so thought i'd share it

See https://office-watch.com/2017/office-2019-what-when/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=wow

Microsoft has announced a new version of Office for release in the second half of next year.
Here's what we know and what we don't about the 'year away' Microsoft Office.
ONE-TIME OR PERPETUAL LICENCE ONLY
This Office bundle is for one-time or perpetual licence buyers of Office only.
People and organizations using the Office 365 releases with regular updates will continue to get them on a different time-frame.
Microsoft's early announcement is intended to reassure organizations that there will be versions of Office and server systems available for those who are resisting the considerable pressure to move to the cloud.
WHAT'S IN IT?
Very little detail on what will be in Office 2019. Broadly it will include a selection of features that have been or will be available to Office 365 customers.
Office: Inking features–like pressure sensitivity, tilt effects, and ink replay–will allow you to work more naturally.
Excel: New formulas and charts
PowerPoint: Visual animation features, Morph and Zoom
Nothing specific about Word or Outlook but there's sure to be new features added to those programs.
Access and Visio don't even get mentioned.
With such a long lead-time it's likely that even Microsoft isn't 100% sure what they'll include in Office 2019.
SERVER VERSIONS
With the desktop programs will be server versions of Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business which, like Office 2019, will include some of the features available in the Microsoft hosted server systems.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Here is the information direct from Microsoft:
https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/09/26/the-next-perpetual-release-of-office/?MC=Windows&MC=WinServer&MC=OfficeO365&MC=SQL&MC=MSAzure

The next perpetual release of Office
By Jared Spataro, on September 26, 2017 | 311 Shares
Today’s post was written by Jared Spataro, general manager for Office.
Today, at Microsoft Ignite in Orlando, we announced Office 2019—the next perpetual update for Office. This release, scheduled for the second half of 2018, will include perpetual versions of the Office apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Previews of the new products will start shipping mid-year 2018.
Office 2019 will add new user and IT capabilities for customers who aren’t yet ready for the cloud. For example, new and improved inking features—like pressure sensitivity, tilt effects, and ink replay—will allow you to work more naturally. New formulas and charts will make data analysis for Excel more powerful. Visual animation features—like Morph and Zoom—will add polish to PowerPoint presentations. Server enhancements will include updates to IT manageability, usability, voice, and security.
Cloud-powered innovation is a major theme at Ignite this week. But we recognize that moving to the cloud is a journey with many considerations along the way. Office 2019 will be a valuable upgrade for customers who feel that they need to keep some or all of their apps and servers on-premises, and we look forward to sharing more details about the release in the coming months.
—Jared Spataro

So it seems that Access remains low on the MS priority list as its not even worth a mention.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:35
So it seems that Access remains low on the MS priority list as its not even worth a mention.

Over the years I have noticed that to be generally the case with Access.

I am only guessing but I suspect it is because Access is really a developer's program and blokes who can do Access will source all the info they need and that info will extend well beyond a general release by Microsoft.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Over the years I have noticed that to be generally the case with Access.

I am only guessing but I suspect it is because Access is really a developer's program and blokes who can do Access will source all the info they need and that info will extend well beyond a general release by Microsoft.

True to some extent but the list of powerful features added to Excel that are also needed in Access is getting longer all the time. For example:
1. Power Query - the best analysis tool in many years
2. Much better charting tools ...
and much more ...

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
True to some extent but the list of powerful features added to Excel that are also needed in Access is getting longer all the time. For example:
1. Power Query - the best analysis tool in many years
2. Much better charting tools ...
and much more ...

IMHO - Trying to make a spreadsheet into a database or a front end of a database is just sub optimal.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
IMHO - Trying to make a spreadsheet into a database or a front end of a database is just sub optimal.

True but I'm not sure why you quoted my comments before writing that.
They are totally different applications but those additional tools would significantly improve Access as well.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I was quoting your comments as I don't consider excel as a replacement to Access and the tone of the thread seems to be that Access will somehow die out or be replaced by excel. I think on the contrary everyone is moving to databases and if anything Excel will be replaced by things like GoogleSheets which seems to have better support for concurrent usage over the web.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I was quoting your comments as I don't consider excel as a replacement to Access and the tone of the thread seems to be that Access will somehow die out or be replaced by excel. I think on the contrary everyone is moving to databases and if anything Excel will be replaced by things like GoogleSheets which seems to have better support for concurrent usage over the web.

I agree totally that Excel is definitely not a replacement to Access and never implied it was.

Indeed users moving from Excel to Access often have major issues thinking in terms of database concepts rather than those used in spreadsheets.

Nevertheless the user base for Excel is far higher and it has for many years received far more development time than Access. In my view that is a great shame.

The only changes to Access I can think of recently are
- restored support for dbase
- adding bigint as data type
- 2 relatively obscure new data connectors
- deprecating web apps

Hardly earth shattering in terms of benefits for most users

The Excel features I mentioned are brilliant and I use Excel when I need them.
However the same or similar features need to be built in to Access

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom