The enduring nature of Access (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 13:53
I have to be honest when I saw the toolbars in 2007 I very nearlly gave up and did stop using it for quite a while but once you have the bug it's damn hard to kick it almost needed AA LOL

deletedT

Local time
I do the same and disable the Navigation pane thats what I meant

Still I don’t see any proof here on why you hate it.
Show it or hide it is a matter of preference. I understand that. But hate needs some proof and how it may hurt.

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
Still I don’t see any proof here on why.

If you leave the navigation pan so a user can click F11 they have access to tables queries I wont go into what might happen if sombody altered a query.

Not saying all users are like that but it only takes one, so when the boss calls you in to correct an error because somebody did something that in fact would be the designers fault how much would you charge them??.

As a thought did you use access Version 2 to 2003?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Am I right calling what is now the navigation panel the control panel which we used up to 2007 been trying to find a picture without any luck.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
If you leave the navigation pan so a user can click F11 they have access to tables queries I wont go into what might happen if sombody altered a query.

Not saying all users are like that but it only takes one, so when the boss calls you in to correct an error because somebody did something that in fact would be the designers fault how much would you charge them??.

But surely they should only have access to an accde.?:confused:

Even my app for the bank checked for the extension and if not accde, quit the app, so any clever buggers would have to work harder to change stuff?;)

deletedT

Local time

With all respects, I don’t want to start a fight. I’m just trying to find an answer.

There is no need for a F11.
This is a tab in a ribbon in one of my applications.

Clicking the third button from right shows/hide navigation pane alternatively. I give them the power to do what they want.
If a user is comfortable with nav pane why should I resist?

My navigation has a list of reports and forms. No table exists. All data is sent or retrieved via sql statement in vba to a sql server.

Leaving nav pane open to use is not wrong. Leaving tables open to public IS.
There’s a difference.

I’ve been using Access since 1997. (Not an exact date.)

Edit: it seems the image doesn’t show. Refer to the first image in my post above.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
Guess depends on your end-user population and db design. I don't want my users to be able to make design changes nor do I want them entering data directly via tables and queries.

Here is 2003 app frame image

Attachments

• ac03_accessdbwin.gif
    ac03_accessdbwin.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 128

Dreamweaver

Local time
Guess depends on your end-user population and db design. I don't want my users to be able to make design changes nor do I want them entering data directly via tables and queries.

Thanks June7 Your a star

deletedT

Local time

Yes I remember that old days. Your image brought up long lost memories.
As a developer we are here to make user do a process faster and safer. If a user is much more comfortable with a center aligned text box or a different size font, why you should force him using something else?

As far as your application works correctly, design is a user side preference not a developer side.

Dreamweaver

Local time
With all respects, I don’t want to start a fight. I’m just trying to find an answer.

There is no need for a F11.
This is a tab in a ribbon in one of my applications.

Clicking the third button from right shows/hide navigation pane alternatively. I give them the power to do what they want.
If a user is comfortable with nav pane why should I resist?

My navigation has a list of reports and forms. No table exists. All data is sent or retrieved via sql statement in vba to a sql server.

Leaving nav pane open to use is not wrong. Leaving tables open to public IS.
There’s a difference.

I’ve been using Access since 1997. (Not an exact date.)

Edit: it seems the image doesn’t show. Refer to the first image in my post above.

No Problem you can disable most design bits in options plus replace the ribbons download my example here

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=303671

If you look in the options I have a number of toolbars there I did borrow the code from the DB guy So he gets the credit there I just edited a few options.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:53
Anyone besides me who finds the audio at the post 9 link is waaaayyy too low? Ads jump in at intervals and they're freakin loud enough, but the narration is next to level zero.
Yes, my speaker volume is at 100% and so is the youtube volume control + I have looked at the advanced audio settings for all aspects and everything is set to full.

deletedT

Local time
Anyone besides me who finds the audio at the post 9 link is waaaayyy too low? Ads jump in at intervals and they're freakin loud enough, but the narration is next to level zero.
Yes, my speaker volume is at 100% and so is the youtube volume control + I have looked at the advanced audio settings for all aspects and everything is set to full.

Not only you. Me too.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:53
No Problem you can disable most design bits in options plus replace the ribbons download my example here
very nice, tnx sir, i downloaded your error correction database.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Mick,
Is there a link to the latest version with all the bug fixes applied please.?

Dreamweaver

Local time
Mick,
Is there a link to the latest version with all the bug fixes applied please.?

The last version here

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1623602&postcount=6

There is only one more error found which reletes to adding holidays for years that are not the current year the post for the calendar update is just a tweek.

both have a walk though to update it.

I will be adding to it when I see problems that I think relate to the general example.

I haven't been able to find any more error as a note i use most of those object in my project managaement system.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time

I have my volume control on the laptop full up and it was fine for me.
I have an ad blocker, so never saw any ads?

Trying to watch on the TV now, to see if the video is better.
Video is easier to see, but the volume needed my soundbar as the TV volume control did not have much effect.

Edit:
Wow just had a 15 minute ad come up for Part 3, that was loud.:eek:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Yes it's very weak/low volume. "Watchable" if I set the volume control to max. It's unfortunate because it seems a good video series.
Here is a youtube Ribbons in MS Access by Anders Ebro (TheSmileyCoder) that may be helpful and informative.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes it's very weak/low volume. "Watchable" if I set the volume control to max. It's unfortunate because it seems a good video series.
Here is a youtube Ribbons in MS Access by Anders Ebro (TheSmileyCoder) that may be helpful and informative.
Had to cut the volume in half on that one! Gave up on the other series because it just got worse. By vid 4 it was so bad that when I dropped a pin on the carpet it drowned out the vid audio.;)

Dreamweaver

Local time
I don't have eny issues with that video volume is good on both the add and video

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom