Mysterious Access Table Deletions (1 Viewer)

monbois

Local time
Today, 01:04
An Access database that runs automatically daily imports Oracle (LIMs) data into local tables. Macros execute the sub-routines and open queries via a batch file. The database closes after each major update in order to compact it. Somehow the data tables are missing when the database opens back up! :banghead: When the files disappear is inconsistent, i.e., not always between the closing/opening of the same macros, but it's always when the database opens back up.

If anyone has a clue as to why this is happening, please share your awesome knowledge. I've tried using more macros so the database compacts more often but that doesn't stop it. Right now I'm implementing clunky workarounds that back up the data in an auxiliary Access database so it can be re-imported if necessary, though it shouldn't be necessary.

The database is located on a desktop computer I log into remotely. It's updated locally on the C drive and then copied down to a server for other users.

Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:04
Using Compact On Close isn't recommended as it can cause loss or corruption of data, Try disabling that or add code to automatically backup before compacting when saving a major update

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:04
Hi. What you call "clunky and unnecessary" maybe the correct way and a necessary approach when dealing with an Access database. For example, what is the file size of your db after all the daily imports are done? Remember, Access files are limited to 2GB; and as soon as you start approaching that limit (not when you do but when you're getting there), you will start seeing some weird things happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom