A question for members from UK (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 20:31
Last night me and my wife watched I, Daniel Blake in Amazon Prime Channel.

Both of us were shocked. Is what the movie shows true? I don't mean the story, but the system.... Is it so corrupt?
Why nobody listens? why nobody cares?

Here if any staff in any organization or association talk like this to anybody, he/she will be fired in no time. I just simply can't imagine how it is even possible to be in that situation and somebody talk to me in this way...( if it's true)

Edit:
Is there anyone who has actually watched the movie and can confirm its contents?

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Local time
I haven't seen it but I wouldn't be surprised to find it true I've only just started voting only to vote for anybody but the one I don't like.

To me most politicians are in it if for their own pockets, They get paid way too much for sitting on there fat arses winning about things just because the opposition want to do whatever it is regardless whether it could do good for the people or not.

Just think what this world will be like in a hundred years if they keep playing there games we wont have to worry about global warming.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I suspect this is a bit of a tangent, but your post reminded me of an article I read the other day about customer service, the call centres you ring when you have a problem... They are actually designed to give you the runaround so you get fed up and don't bother!

Long waiting times on the phone, the person you speak to has no authority to give you any sort of refund or recourse, the only way you can elevate to someone that is in a position to do something is by getting all jumpy up and downy... I mean we have our own businesses and customers, and it just goes against the grain to treat people in such a way, so much so that you never expect anyone would treat you like it, would you.

But there you go, the first rule of these types of businesses, never give any money back never give in, always fight, even if you are wrong, fight, and you've only got to look at the washing machine debacle in the UK, people are getting killed by washing machines because it's cheaper for the washing machine manufacture to pay out on the insurance than sort the problem out...

Until they put some of the directors in prison, this will be a common feature of business throughout the world... Sometimes I think some of these dictatorial States have the right answer like China, what they do when this type of business person messes up, is they put them up against the wall and shoot them!

Really Society can become too nice, too forgiving, letting all sorts of people and factions get away with what is is obviously inherently wrong headed thinking and doing... Maybe time for more of a right wing take on it...

deletedT

Local time
To me most politicians are in it if for their own pockets, They get paid way too much for sitting on there fat arses winning about things just because the opposition want to do whatever it is regardless whether it could do good for the people or not.

Just think what this world will be like in a hundred years if they keep playing there games we wont have to worry about global warming.

With all respects MickJav, it's not about politic. It's about society. It's about people against people. the whole movie shows nobody respects nobody. Nobody cares about others problems.
The staff sitting there for sure must follow a guide line. But not forget about being kind to others, listen to them and try to help....

deletedT

Local time
Long waiting times on the phone, the person you speak to has no authority to give you any sort of refund or recourse, the only way you can elevate to someone that is in a position to do something is by getting all jumpy up and downy... I mean we have our own businesses and customers, and it just goes against the grain to treat people in such a way, so much so that you never expect anyone would treat you like it, would you.

6 years ago we bought a refrigerator. It came with a 6 years guarantee. Last week exactly 3 days before the guarantee expire it started behaving strangely. We called the service office that took only 3 minutes. The next morning a brand new refrigerator was sitting in our kitchen.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:31
6 years ago we bought a refrigerator. It came with a 6 years guarantee. Last week exactly 3 days before the guarantee expire it started behaving strangely. We called the service office that took only 3 minutes. The next morning a brand new refrigerator was sitting in our kitchen.
Not exactly a fair comparison. On one hand you give a bad example of the NHS in the UK, then a great example of Japanese service.

How about the endless work hours and the high suicide rate?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have seen many of Ken Loach's films though not that one so I can't comment on specifics

Ken is a highly respected director with a strong belief in social justice.
Whilst I broadly agree with his views, there are those who try to dismiss him as being just a left-wing polemicist

The question relates to the benefits system and that it is too often impersonal and uncaring. I can vouch for that being the case for many on the receiving end of the system.

Despite the impression that some in the UK have about large numbers of scroungers from Britain and abroad abusing benefits, the vast majority of recipients have genuine reasons for deserving benefits but struggle to get by.

The rolling introduction of the highly flawed universal credit system has over the past few years added to the hardships experienced by many who are eligible for benefits due to unemployment, disability etc. The benefits system certainly needs reform but UC has largely been an expensive failure

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'll have to watch it as it sound like something my Mrs and I would watch

thanks

deletedT

Local time
Not exactly a fair comparison. On one hand you give a bad example of the NHS in the UK, then a great example of Japanese service.

How about the endless work hours and the high suicide rate?

Excuse my rudeness. But I think you're very good in mixing different problems. Just like the other day all of a sudden you wrote about Japan's war crimes in one of my posts.

Do you think I don't know we have our own problems? I can write a book with more than a thousand page about ours. I was just asking if what the movie tries to show is true or not. Uncle Gizmo talked about the difficulties in refunds and I gave him an example about ours. How endless work hours comes in?

We were talking about how organizations care about people and I showed an example about our situation. Why does the rate of suicide relates to the benefits system? what do you want to prove here? that we have our problems? Yes we have. But how it relates to the problem the movie was showing?

And What do you really know about suicides here? Except maybe several articles without any discussion on why. You want to discuss suicide here? Tell me what do you know about Haragiri and what's behind it before talking about suicide.

Or endless work hours?
What does it even mean? endless work hours? I don't understand why everybody tries to make it a problem for us, while none of us think it really matters. How many hours have you been working in a company here before you judge about this ENDLESS WORK HOURS? Nobody obliges anybody to work here. Actually it's against law to force somebody to work more than 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Don't you like working....It's your choice. DON'T work. I like my job and I work as long as I can. I would work 24 hours a day if I could.... Does it bother you?

Last edited:

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
The rolling introduction of the highly flawed universal credit system has over the past few years added to the hardships experienced by many who are eligible for benefits due to unemployment, disability etc. The benefits system certainly needs reform but UC has largely been an expensive failure

And yet on December 12th the Lemmings voted for more of the same...

scott-atkinson

Local time
Our General Election on the 12th December was most definitely driven by Brexit, people can argue this until they are blue in the face, but when the winning party's repeated Slogan throughout the campaign was 'Get Brexit Done', it's kind of hard to argue against it..

Our country has been divided for the last 3 years because of Brexit, it has driven the rise in extreme views, and pitted familes and siblings and communities against each other..

It will take a good few years of stability to bring us back to where we were before this..

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I suspect many people voted to support democracy.

The conclusion of the referendum was that we should leave the European Union. However political shenanigans from both sides were employed both before and after to try and bend the result to their particular whim.

I suspect that whether people wanted to leave or remain, for this election, they voted to support leave because that was the democratic result and supporting it supports democracy.

Sent from Newbury UK

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I suspect many people voted to support democracy.

The conclusion of the referendum was that we should leave the European Union. However political shenanigans from both sides were employed both before and after to try and bend the result to their particular whim.

I suspect that whether people wanted to leave or remain, for this election, they voted to support leave because that was the democratic result and supporting it supports democracy.

Sent from Newbury UK
Was it buyer's remorse the very next day? It seemed like young people wanted it, and then there was this whoops moment.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I agree with much that has been written in the last few answers.

The last election offered a choice between a simple slogan by the Conservatives to Get Brexit Done, endlessly repeated, and a very complex, possibly over ambitious, programme from Labour with no clearly communicated theme.

Although I voted remain, I fully accept that the majority voted leave back in 2016. Since then opinion polls have almost consistently indicated the opposite would be true if the referendum had been repeated.

In fact back in 2016 most young people voted Remain whilst the majority of older people voted Leave. Whilst its true that most people didn't know exactly what leaving would entail, it was still an overall majority to do so.

Somehow the country does need to move on and repair the damage of the past few years but I think that its very difficult to see that happening.

scott-atkinson

Local time
I agree with much that has been written in the last few answers.

The last election offered a choice between a simple slogan by the Conservatives to Get Brexit Done, endlessly repeated, and a very complex, possibly over ambitious, programme from Labour with no clearly communicated theme.

Although I voted remain, I fully accept that the majority voted leave back in 2016. Since then opinion polls have almost consistently indicated the opposite would be true if the referendum had been repeated.

In fact back in 2016 most young people voted Remain whilst the majority of older people voted Leave. Whilst its true that most people didn't know exactly what leaving would entail, it was still an overall majority to do so.

Somehow the country does need to move on and repair the damage of the past few years but I think that its very difficult to see that happening.

If you total up the representative votes from the Lib Dems, Greens, SNP, Labour, where each one was sitting in it's respective constituency then the Remain Vote should have won, the problem is that it was split, whereas there was only really one party of any significance that was polling for the Leave vote...

If the remain voters had been smarter and only voted for the Lib Dems or for Labour, there would have been a very different outcome... unfortunately they didn't see it coming, because they believed that it wasn't an elcetion about Brexit, when it clearly was..

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
True. In a seat with a large Tory majority, I voted tactically.
Turned out to be a mistake in my case as it seems a lot of other people did so but not necessarily making the same 'tactical decision'.
So you can easily guess who won. :banghead:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:31
A slight bit off thread, but that is kind of what happens when the USA Democrats field a list of nearly a dozen candidates. The folks who don't like the leader dilute the party's voting strength, but of course the party isn't homogeneous and so getting the members to look past the nose on their faces becomes an issue.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Our voting and election system needs to change, first past the post does not work anymore, a party with extreme views can win a seat besides the moderate parties contesting the same seat poll more votes but are split votes..

As was seen in this recent election...

But whilst the corrupt politicians hold the power in Westminster it will never change and we the people suffer...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Whomever is on the losing side invariably wants to change the voting structure for obvious
reasons. Its just human nature, you want your guy to win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom