Single and double quotes (1 Viewer)

hogdriver53

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:23
[SOLVED]Single and double quotes

Hi all,

I've searched high and low all over the Net, but am getting stumped .... And I think the culprit is/are the quotation marks. I've downloaded and modified a code I found on the net and it works to a point ....

I use Access 2016.

I have a db, where I would like to open and populate a form (frmWorksheet) with a record that is displayed on a report (rptMDEMexams), which itself is based on a query (qryMDEMexams), which is based on a table (tblMDEMexams). I know it seems over the top, but being a newb this makes is easiest for me to keep it sane :)

I have a 'Print' button on the report (each line has it's own print button) and when I press the button, it opens the 'Worksheet' form, but pre-populates it with the first record from the table.

Based on the searching and reading I've done is that it all comes down to the quotation marks.

As per my code below, the first double quote is fine but the single quote and double quotes after ... Me![txtContainerNumber]... appear to be the culprits. The single/double quotes turn green, which to me means it's an info line and not used/displayed (as in "blocked" DoCmd at the top of the code).

---------------------------------------
Code:
Private Sub cmdPrint_Click()

'DoCmd.OpenForm "frmRecord", , acNormal, , "FIELD = " & Me!FIELD

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frmWorksheet"
    stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= '" & "Me![txtContainerNumber] " [B][COLOR="Red"]'"[/COLOR][/B]

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , stLinkCriteria

End Sub
---------------------------------------------

No matter what I try and the order of quotes and single/double quotes, I can't get it to work, and I get the same result.

What am I doing wrong? It's driving me crazy ....

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:23
Hi
Your two identical posts were moderated.
This often happens with new users if the post contains code and/or is quite long.
If it happens, one of us will approve the post as soon as we notice it.
So please don't just redo it.
Anyway, I've added code tags (# button on toolbar) and I deleted the other post ...

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 05:23
Code:
 stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= '" & Me![txtContainerNumber]  & "'"
but if that doesn't work, try:
Code:
 stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= " & Me![txtContainerNumber]
also, opening a form AFTER you've already opened a report is pretty rare I would say. actually, I don't think I've ever seen it done. usually it goes:

1. click button on form
  2. report opens
  3. hit print report button
  4. close report to go back to form
by the way Andrew (that is you, right?), welcome to your first experience with a vast array of different viewpoints. That's what makes this place so entertaining. :p

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Just a guess but try it this way:
Code:
 stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= '" & Me![txtContainerNumber] & "[B]'"[/B]

Edit: Oops, looks like I was a little slow... Sorry for the duplicate info...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
And another version...
1. There's a comma missing in the OpenForm line
2. Assuming its a text field (despite the name) then

Code:
    stDocName = "frmWorksheet"
    stLinkCriteria = "txtContainerN= '" & Me.txtContainerNumber & "'"
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, ,[B][COLOR="Red"] ,[/COLOR][/B]stLinkCriteria

or just do it in one line
Code:
 DoCmd.OpenForm "frmWorksheet", , [COLOR="red"][B],[/B][/COLOR]"txtContainerN= '" & Me.txtContainerNumber & "'"

3. But if its a number field then

Code:
 DoCmd.OpenForm "frmWorksheet", ,[B][COLOR="red"] ,[/COLOR][/B]"txtContainerN= " & Me.txtContainerNumber

Note that the square brackets were superfluous and it should be Me. instead of Me! (though both will work)

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
it should be Me. instead of Me! (though both will work)
I'm still not convinced of this. Will the confusion of the differing symbolisms in access ever be solved I wonder? sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, version to version, scenario to scenario....the mishaps are plentiful IMO.

hogdriver53

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
Your two identical posts were moderated.
This often happens with new users if the post contains code and/or is quite long.
If it happens, one of us will approve the post as soon as we notice it.
So please don't just redo it.
Anyway, I've added code tags (# button on toolbar) and I deleted the other post ...

Awesome. Thank you. When I posted first time, a message flashed but I didn't see what it said. Now I know.

hogdriver53

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
 stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= '" & Me![txtContainerNumber]  & "'"
but if that doesn't work, try:
Code:
 stLinkCriteria = "[txtContainerN]= " & Me![txtContainerNumber]
also, opening a form AFTER you've already opened a report is pretty rare I would say. actually, I don't think I've ever seen it done. usually it goes:

1. click button on form
  2. report opens
  3. hit print report button
  4. close report to go back to form
by the way Andrew (that is you, right?), welcome to your first experience with a vast array of different viewpoints. That's what makes this place so entertaining. :p

Thank you, Adam, for your reply.
The reason I need it the way I have is to see the report of all the containers and then from there I can pick which worksheet to print with which container.

I've looked through AW forums in the past and I find them very helpful. I got a lot of good/different ides for some of the things I incorporated into the db. Variety is what makes it so cool - seeing different ideas and then using what works the best :)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Variety is what makes it so cool - seeing different ideas and then using what works the best :)
we assume this issue is solved then? If so, mark the thread as such if you would please. I'm glad you find this place helpful. There's no doubt that we kick a serious amount of a$$ around here. :cool:
Just trying to say I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. That's all. Cheers!
I think that's inevitable, guy. As long as we don't twist the question asker's brain into a pretzel by bombarding him/her with too many responses, I don't see anything wrong with more than 1 person throwing coins in the fountain.

hogdriver53

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you, Colin and Adam, for your suggestions.
I tried all the different ways that you've suggested, but still not working (all on one line, and as I had it in the OP).
The txtContainerN and txtContainerNUmber fields are both text fields.

I noticed that when I added the 3rd comma in the DoCom line, it put a space after it and there was a space between it and stLinkCriteria. In your examples, there is no space. No matter what I tried, as soon as I clicked away from that line, the space was added automatically.
When I only had the 2 commas, it would work, but still going to the first record in the table.
When I left the 3rd comma in and the space after it, a box pops up and asks for the container number (txtContainerN).

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
as soon as I clicked away from that line, the space was added automatically.
the vba editor's intelligence causes that stuff.
When I only had the 2 commas, it would work, but still going to the first record in the table. When I left the 3rd comma in and the space after it, a box pops up and asks for the container number (txtContainerN).
this might be a case where you have to upload your file so these guys can have a look. Can you do that? If sensitive data, ditch it and add a small amount of fake data so you don't give away any trade secrets, etc...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Are you able to post a sample copy of your db? You should be able to attach a file if you zip it up first.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:23
Will the confusion of the differing symbolisms in access ever be solved I wonder?
Not as long as there's lack of understanding and/or retention of knowledge learned. It sure takes a lot of time.
Regarding ! :
It provides late bound access to the default member of an object by passing the literal that follows the ! as a string argument for that member. AFAIK, the only time you must use ! over . is when dealing with recordsets and certain object collections; e.g.
Code:
With rs
  .Edit
  !field1 = Me.txtbox1
  !field2 = Me.txtbox2
etc
and Forms!frmMain

If you use Me! and misspell the name of the default member as in
Me!txtFnme when it should be txtFname then the error will not be found on compile, only at run time - because the reference is LATE bound. I never use Me! for that reason alone.

hogdriver53

Registered User.
Local time
Hi guys,

I had to delete the previous message with the attachment, because I had to remove some more stuff from the db.

This one is OK to go out to the world. I removed some sensitive data.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Attachments

• AW - test.zip
    208 KB · Views: 100

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi guys,

I had to delete the previous message with the attachment, because I had to remove some more stuff from the db.

This one is OK to go out to the world. I removed some sensitive data.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew
Hi Andrew. Can you please re-add the instructions you had included earlier? Thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Okay, I took a look and hope the attach works for you.

Attachments

• AW - test.zip
    234.7 KB · Views: 100

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I had a look too. Once I realised the field & control names originally supplied by the OP were wrong, this also worked

Code:
   DoCmd.OpenForm "frmWorksheet", , , "[Container Number] = '" & Me.[Container Number] & "'"

as did this:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmWorksheet", , , "[Container Number] = '" & Me.txtContainerN & "'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom