Life after VBA (1 Viewer)

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:35
Hi guys,

My goal this year is to learn a new language, but a more "modern" one that would be in demand for a possible career.
VBA tend to be seen as "old school" compared to the new web focused languages.
Someone suggested Python as a good option but I want to know from my fellow VBA Developers on what I should tackle that would be not too much of a steep learning curve, but still give me a good career opportunity in the "new" world.

All I really know is VBA with a bit of Php I started working with recently.

Thanks

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:35
Freshman,

Just like my posts here, my recent letter to the professors at the CS department here in my town's university drew criticism from the senior citizens that found out about it (including my father) because they claimed to me that I sounded like an arrogant know-it-all. Most of them told me I would never get a response either, but like so many instances in my life, the response I got from the community resulted in a 50/50 split of people that thought it was extremely useful and those that thought it was totally a waste of time. I have provided this resource to many kids in their 20's by now and some have praised me for giving them insight into what skills they should acquire. Here's the relevant portion of the letter I wrote, which gives my insights into what the employers in the USA want, what they're gonna want in the future, and what industries are using what software....I hope you can utilize it as well. :)

Letter to U of I CS Department

Attachments

• email to UIOWA CS department.docx
    13.9 KB · Views: 115

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:35
=> PYTHON (being requested by almost every company across many different industries)

Thanks - So Python seems to be a good call and from what I hear not to difficult get the basics
Cheers

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:35
My two cents on "giving good chances int the new world" is your ability to adapt and how quick you can learn a new language.
Here we learned Java and .net... My first job was in Dataflex, now programming mainly in x++ (around September it will be c#). Still creating small programs like nfc generators in c# or doing some php stuff or lua.

Once a solid base, the language becomes a simple syntax you need to learn.

You cannot go wrong with Python. As long as you enjoy learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom