Data entered by specific user only visible on his PC. (1 Viewer)

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:05
Just in passing, is it possible that user has somehow converted the linked network tables to local tables in their FE? It would certainly explain the behaviour described.

As an aside, and excuse my ignorance, but is your signoff (='c) meant as an emoticon?

Uhm.. How would it look like if it is converted to local table? What I did was looked into the actual BE file from his computer and mine, I see the data on his and I can't see it on mine...

Yes (='c) a crying emoticon... because the crying emoticon is not available here hehehe...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:05
Ah I see. There are plenty of others to choose from... :cool::D:):eek::confused::eek::mad::p:banghead:

Look in the navigation pane
Linked tables have a small blue arrow next to the table name
Local tables do not

If you hover over a linked table you will see the linked connection details.
If you do that over a local table you just see the table name.

If they are local tables, the easiest solution will be to replace that users' FE with a working version
BUT before you do so you need to save a copy of the current FE so the data can be extracted and saved to the BE file

Hope that helps

Attachments

• LocalLinked.PNG
    LocalLinked.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 233

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Ah I see. There are plenty of others to choose from

Look in the navigation pane
Linked tables have a small blue arrow next to the table name
Local tables do not

If you hover over a linked table you will see the linked connection details.
If you do that over a local table you just see the table name.

If they are local tables, the easiest solution will be to replace that users' FE with a working version
BUT before you do so you need to save a copy of the current FE so the data can be extracted and saved to the BE file

Hope that helps

I think the headbang would the closest to my crying emoticon... :D

Well I am looking at the exact same table from both PCs on the back end, it is a local table and the only table where the data should be saved, no other local table copy was created, and is it possible that the db creates a table on its own?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I think the headbang would the closest to my crying emoticon... :D

Well I am looking at the exact same table from both PCs on the back end, it is a local table and the only table where the data should be saved, no other local table copy was created, and is it possible that the db creates a table on its own?

It should be a local table in the backend!

You need to look at the user's copy of the FE on their workstation.
What I was suggesting was that the user may have (possibly unintentionally) converted that linked table from the BE into a local copy of the table in his FE.
If he/she has done so, the data will not be visible to anyone else
Does that make sense?

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
It should be a local table in the backend!

You need to look at the user's copy of the FE on their workstation.
What I was suggesting was that the user may have (possibly unintentionally) converted that linked table from the BE into a local copy of the table in his FE.
If he/she has done so, the data will not be visible to anyone else
Does that make sense?

Is it possible even if the FE he is using is an accde? The one he is using is accde though...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Is it possible even if the FE he is using is an accde? The one he is using is accde though...

Yes its certainly possible if the user has access to the navigation pane.
All they need to do is right click on a linked table and click Convert to Local Table

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Yes its certainly possible if the user has access to the navigation pane.
All they need to do is right click on a linked table and click Convert to Local Table

Hmm, I made sure they don't have access to the navigation pane. Here is how the FE looks like. They just click buttons and that is all they can do.

Attachments

• help1.JPG
    help1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 99

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a snapshot as well of how I accessed the BE db from both my PC and the user's pc. IT is the exact same BE file. I was doing remote access of the user's PC

PS: The user does not have direct access to the BE and unable to access the navigation pane in either the BE or FE.

Attachments

• usersPCvsMyPC.jpg
    usersPCvsMyPC.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 104
  • myPC.jpg
    myPC.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 105
  • UsersPC.jpg
    UsersPC.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 99

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
Here is a snapshot as well of how I accessed the BE db from both my PC and the user's pc. IT is the exact same BE file. I was doing remote access of the user's PC

PS: The user does not have direct access to the BE and unable to access the navigation pane in either the BE or FE.
Hi. Are you open to doing a screenshare? It might be necessary for us to "poke" around to get to the bottom of the problem. By that I mean, you will do all the poking, we'll just be there to direct where you would poke and then watch for the result.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Unfortunately the screenshots don't tell us the answer to the question of whether the tables are local or linked.
Presumably you are able to check that yourself.
One method is to try and LINK tables from the user's FE. If you do that only the local tables will be listed.
Conversely if you try & IMPORT tables from the FE, all tables will be listed but any linked tables in the FE will be 'imported' but as linked tables.

Hope that makes sense.
If not then a screen sharing session will probably be a good solution.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Are you open to doing a screenshare? It might be necessary for us to "poke" around to get to the bottom of the problem. By that I mean, you will do all the poking, we'll just be there to direct where you would poke and then watch for the result.

How can i screenshare? I am not sure though if my office netwotk would allow that

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Teamviewer would probably work?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
How can i screenshare? I am not sure though if my office netwotk would allow that

Hi. Yes, we can use either TeamViewer or Zoom. If your company uses another service like JoinMe or WebEx, we can use it instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom