Distributing workgroup help needed urgently (1 Viewer)

m001

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:49
I've created a new workgroup and defined all the security I want.

According to this book I have I should be able to distribute my .mdw file with my solution but when I move the .mdw file (which is on my desktop as well as the database currently) my database won't open anymore, even if I move both database and .mdw file together to another location.

How can I even think about distributing the workgroup with my database?

As I never needed to secure a database in this way before, I feel lost.

Please help.

Templer

Registered User.
Local time
I had this problem just recently, but as I am new to access I'm sure there is an easier way than this!

Right click on the db short cut, goto properties, then edit the target. I copied the form from another db I had.

This is long winded but its the only way I know for the mo!

m001

Registered User.
Local time
Thankyou for your answer,

Guess you're talking about redirecting a shortcut here.

I'm afraid this solution isn't of any help, even though I appreciate your effort.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:49
The best way to use a workgroup with a secured database is to use a custom short cut. You should not physically join a database to a workgroup security file (*.mdw). Below is an example of the target field of a shortcut...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "C:\Databases\TestSecurity.mdw" "X:\DatabaseFiles\TestDB.mdb" /user TestUser

HTH

ycnan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:49
distribute .mdw with shortcut?

I am also trying to figure out how best to distribute a secure database with different user groups to a handful of people. I have read some of these posts, but am unfamiliar with how to use the shortcut path that I've seen people mention a couple of times.

If I want to distribute my secure database, what exactly are the steps I need to take?
1) give users the actual database
2) give users a copy of the .mdw file, right? but how?

Thanks for your patience,
from a still "new" user

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom