Performance issues when changed server (1 Viewer)

IanW

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:16
Hi,

I am working for a company who has recently moved their BE Access 2000 database onto a newer faster server. This has decreased the speed of the file server application on the client pc's. Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the system. We disabled opportunistic locking on the server which seems to have helped, but any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:16
Let's see if I got this straight.

You had Ac2K with a BackEnd / FrontEnd configuration, with the BE files on server X. You moved the BE to server Y, which is supposed to be faster - but it is not?

If that is correct, your problem is going to be the network. Ideally, you should never have lost ground when going to a faster machine. Issues that apply here are:

1. Is the faster machine used by more people than the prior, slower machine? (I.e. even though it is a bigger pie, are you offering more slices of the pie to more people than before?)

2. Is the network interface card set to a speed no slower than the speed of the prior machine's card?

3. Is the newer machine reached through a radically different route than the prior machine, such that you incur network "hops" to get from client to server? Also such that you might find yourself going to the server through a smaller data pipe in the new layout than you did in the old one?

4. New machines often need initial tuning. Does the network support code have enough resources (such as memory buffers) allocated to external users? This sort of parameter appears in different places on different machines, so I can't tell you where to look. (Even if you told me what the system and platform were, I might not know where to look. Bill Gates keeps on moving everything around.)

5. Since you made it clear that the new system is acting as a file server for the BE, I have to ask: Does it represent a change in operating system from the prior server? Expected response from a server is not the same from one host to another.

That pretty much covers the issues I can remember from the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom