Network Computer's holding printer resources? (1 Viewer)

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:25
I've been designing a database in access for monthes now.
Being close to finished, I began rolling out to multiple workstations when I encountered a new problem I have never seen before.

I will describe, and if possible can someone tell me if it is a problem with Access or Network issues.

Invoicing Program to print cheques:

Workstation 1: The application is asked to print the cheques from the user. Despite having the default printer selected, it says that the printer is unavailable. You have to manually setup the printer. Once this is done it works. If you continue printing cheques the problem doesn't arise untill:

Then you go over to work station 2

Same issue arises, you constantly need to reset the printer to the correct printer. What I find strange is that it says the cheque printer is unavailable yet, if you select it from the list it works fine.

The problem is everytime you use a new workstation to print out cheques it tells you over and over that the printer isn't available forcing you reset the printer options. This is not a viable solution for the common user.

I am hoping that installing the latest service packs will help, if not, i was wondering if there is a piece of code I can insert so that after printing, Access will release the resources?

Please let me know, be a shame if i have to scrap monthes of work for this issue.

Thanks
Jordan
Same issue.

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
It should be noted that the problem is, that the printers are constantly being seen as not available on new machines,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jordan

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
I think I've discovered it. I have not created a workgroup for my database. Could this be affecting the printer resources if its used by multiple users?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:25
If checks are not printed to the default printer, does each user need to go through the process of installing the printer before Access will recognize it?

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
Access recognizes the printer, even says in the error message that the default printer IS 'check printer' but it constantly says it is not available. I believe its holding the resources on a user which is connected simultaneously.

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a screenshot of the error

Here is a screenshot of the error I recieved.

This error pops up everytime i open a new instance of the DB on another PC on the network. Even if you reset it on one by using Setup, and then move to a new PC to try it, you get the popup again.

I tried with setting a workgroup but may have done it wrong, so i reverted to a workgroupless DB once again. I have no user's or groups either, just open the DB and run. Could this be the problem?

The file is a .txt, its a screenshot inside a word document so please just rename the file to .doc so you can see it. There were no applications on this PC that would make it any easier to use sorry.

Could it be due to the network configuration?

Has anyone ever heard of a similiar issue?

I also have quite some trouble trying to set up users/groups. This is the last step so the company can finally have a DB to store invoices, if you can help Id REALLY appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Jordan

Attachments

• error.txt
    72 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Jordan76

Registered User.
Local time
Is there a code snippet I can throw in to release the resources if I am just setting the printer using default settings, and using the specific printer settings for 2 different reports?

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:25
guessing...

if you are using continuous forms on a dot matrix printer, you might need to set the end-of-job indication in the printer's setup parameters (or the printer itself).

if the printer does not see an end-of-job, the printer channel will likely remain open, thereby giving the appearance of being 'in use'.

you might also want to check the spool settings...

hth,
al

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom