Some questions- database splitting (1 Viewer)

Mansoor Ahmad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:45
Dear All

There are 4 users of my database and now I am thinking of splitting it in front end and back end.

I am still not 100% sure how would it be beneficial? Can somebody answer my following questions please?

1. In split database, if I want to make any design changes in a form or report while other users are using same form or report on their machines, would it affect them or not?

2. We have got user level security already in place on our databse. Every user uses his/her password. What would happen when the same databse splitts?

3. Would both FE and BE reside on network and users would only be provided with the shortcut to FE?

Thanks

chrismcbride

Registered User.
Local time
Mansoor

I think that the split route is the way to go...

I'll answer # 3 first. While you could have a single shared FE on the server, but better to have a separate local FE for each user. You would then have a separate development FE that you use to make your changes. At some point when you decide that you want the users to have access to the latest changes you have made, you replace their FE with the development FE.
A benefit is that you can keep a local copy of the BE for you to use when working on your development FE. Disadvantage of this is that you need to remember to re-link the devel. FE to the on-line BE when you update users. Big advantage is that you can always work on the data for testing purposes without worrying about integrity.
The major benifit is that you have complete freedom to do what ever you want to the FE (or local BE for that matter) without affecting the users.
Also you can have separate FE's for each user. Why give a user a whole bunch of forms that he will never use?

As far as the security model you use, I am not terribly experienced with Access security. Hopefully someone more experienced will pitch in here. I have no reason to believe that security is an issue, however.

Hope this helps
Chris

chrismcbride

Registered User.
Local time
[No message]

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:45
1. You have the choice of having users share a single copy of the fe located on a server or of loading a separate copy on each user's PC. In eiither case, you would NEVER modify any objects in a db that is opened for data entry by your users. You should ALWAYS work on a separate copy of the fe which is lined to a copy of the be. You don't want to take the chance of messing up live data. When your changes are complete, you can upload a new copy of the fe for the users to download.

2. That would not be affected.

3. Your choice. See #1. There are slight performance improvements when the db is stored locally rather than on a network drive.

Mansoor Ahmad

Registered User.
Local time
A little more advice

Thank you very much for your reply. This is all very useful information for me. Just a little more advice please

When you say separate local FE for each user does it mean that after splitting process completes, I would ask users to copy FE database from our global network drive to their local drives?

The network system we have in our company is a bit different, no PC has its local C drive, so you basically cannot save anything on C drive, however every PC user has a personal drive available on network.

So in this case every user would run FE from their personal network drive. Is that right?

Thanks again.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:45
Running separate copies of the fe from their personal network directories will not provide any performance improvement but it will still provide improved stability. The performance improvement that occurs with fe's located locally is caused because the various objects (forms, reports, modules, etc) do not need to be transfered over the network and so data transfer is minimized.

As to how to distribute the fe - if your network group offers the facility to automatically "push" updated copies, that would be the simplest solution. Search the archives here for others. I recommend one that uses a local and remote version table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom