Reliability (1 Viewer)

darag2358

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:42
We are developing an Access 2002 database that is going to be used as a problem tracker for technical system issues. It will be used by about 20-30 people. At normal levels, about 7-10 people will be actively using it. The database will be stored on a Novell shared server. The tables will be stored on a back-end database file, with the application form and queries in a separate front-end. One of our analysts expressed concern over the reliability of using Access.

My questions: Will Access be able to handle a workload like this? There is a potential that about 15-20 or so people could be in the front-end database, making changes to the back-end tables, if we are busy. And is there a way to lock a single record so that two people can't try to update the same record at once?

GumbyD

Accessosaurus
Local time
Dan -

You can run Access in that environment but it sounds like you may be pushing the limits a bit. We have some clients with large numbers of users on Novell servers and the main problems that we see are the record locks and file locks on the server are not set high enough. Have you considered running SQL server instead?

GumbyD

darag2358

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think I have enough knowledge to have even thought about that. This is a bit of a jump for me, not that I couldn't learn quickly. The databases I have created in the past have been primarily just for me and a few others. Can you provide some basic information or maybe know of a resource to learn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom