Learning Access - my account for beginners (1 Viewer)

mbentle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:29
I've searched these forums for information regarding how to use Access and I noticed that a lot of new users have pretty much the same questions. So, I thought it might be a good idea (and some body please stop me if it's already been done) to kind of chronicle my learning of the program and to provide different aspects as I go. I hope that everyone would feel free to respond and help me as I learn because I have a LONG way to go.

The Project
I work in a security/fire department for a Fortune 100 company. We currently track information through manual, paper means. We track incidents within our facility (violation of company policy, etc), vehicle information, fire responses, health responses, individual training, and many many other items. It is my intention to incorporate all of this information into a single, easy to use database that can be accessed by as many as 50 people, sometimes simultaneously. The final leg of the project would include a 'daily report'. This report tracks every single activity within the department as it happens. Even activities so small as status checks must be recorded. In theory, I'd like the daily report to interact with the employee and user tables.

Thats the start. I'll add more details as we go along. I'm learning every day and am currently trying to implement log-in security and permissions. It's being hosted on a network drive folder (not specifically allocated to the job) and isn't secure on it's own. The back-end data will need to be secured as will the access to the forms. An administrative access needs to be established and updates to the database need to be recorded individually so that every update can be tracked. We are mandated by the government and thus the information contained within must be encrypted in one form or another.

This is the scope of the project. More later.

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:29
m,

Hi there! As you get started on your project, remember that there is a lot
of expertise here. I'd suggest that you start in the tables forum and
nail down your table designs. One of the most important things to do is
set your tables up properly. There are some good dissertations here
about normalization, you can use the search facility. So many problems
here revolve around the fact that people have poorly designed tables.

Then after you (and the others here) have the tables down, maybe I'll
see you as you get your forms/reports/queries together. I actually don't
post too much in the tables forum.

You might start a Word document (or a db?) with the links from the
threads as you build your app.

See ya,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom