Auto add records to related table (1 Viewer)

Sandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:07
I work for a small charity which funds youth projects (before you ask - "No!" - lol).

Every time I add a new project to my database, there is a chain of events from 'initial contact' through to 'funding decision' and a further chain of events from 'funding decision' to 'award completed'. Each 'event' is a separate record. Projects are on one table, 'Event', 'date due', 'date completed' on a second related table (with project, of course, being the common field).

What I want to be able to do every time a project is added on 'Projects' is automatically create the records for the first chain of events in 'Events' to make sure that the whole process is followed.

Then, as a separate procedure, if we decide to fund the project, be able to click a button (or something!) to add the records for the second chain of events.

Was sure this had to have been asked about before... I have tried searching on auto update, auto increment and even 'adding records to a related table' but haven't found anything quite right - if this has come up before then please let me know (& if I'm using the wrong technical terms, tell me :p ).

Alternatively, any ideas most gratefully appreciated.

TVM in advance

Sandre

Last edited:

monkeytunes

Serf of the Jungle
Local time
Yesterday, 23:07
Sounds like you need an Append Query. There's been a fair amount of discussion on this in the past week or two, people have been asking how to set up survey databases. You can set an Append Query to run using a Macro or VB in the "After Update" event of your Form, or using a specific button on the Form. Search for Append Query or "survey" on the forums for more info. Hope that helps!

Sandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:07
Thanks monkeytunes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom