Lost Access to some Access objects. Help! (1 Viewer)

dudezzz

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:17
This is my situation:

I received an Access db from a co-worker complaining she was unable to modify contents of some of the tables in it. I offered to assist her on this.

1. When I opened it, I was unable to modify the contents of the Tables inside. 'Read Data' and 'Read Design' are the only two Access permissions checked for most of the Access objects (tables, reports, macros). Some of the forms, Macros have just "Open / Run" permissions checked and none of the other permissions are checked.

2. We do not have access to the prior "System.mdw" file on which this db was created.

3. I attempted to manually check each of the Access permissions on all of the Db objects (tables, reports, forms, macros etc.,) - Access refused to co-operate. I received an error "You can't change permission for table "mytable." To change permissions for this object, you must have Administer permissions for it."

4. I attempted to export each of the db object to a new db one-by-one. Since the Forms and Macros had just "Open / Run" permissions I was not able to export them or copy them. So, there goes another problem.

5. I tried to create a new user on this db and added 'admins' group to this user. Also, Gave a pwd to the admin user. Logged on as the new user and ran the Security Wizard to grant all permissions to all database objects.
Now, I got an error message from Security Wizard "Error 'An unexpected error occured while change the owner of the database. This problem can occur if you have (1) previously created the db while logged on as one user, (2) secured it previously using the security wizard in any version of access, and then (3) logged on as a different user to run the security wizard this time.' the wizard can't complete successfully.

6. The Owner for each db object says "Unknown" I tried changing it to the user admin or the new user (with admin privelege) - Access refused to change it.

I went through most of the posts here on System.mdw and Security but all the solutions that I learned here - I was unable to use.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can gain access to all my database objects in this db? :confused:

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom