Password Issues with Non Protected Database asking for Password (1 Viewer)

cclambie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:29
Hi,

Firstly thank you for your help, this should be a simple one I hope, but is cracking my head on the wall. Have searched and searched and can't find an answer.

I have an Access Db that is not password protected, but is asking for a password.
It opens on any other machine fine?

I think my version of Access is playing funny buggers with me, any suggestions?

I was trying to implement some security on this Db, which is why it happened I'm sure. I ran the security wizard, set-up two users and admin with passwords, I have the output file to "recreate" something too.

Issue is, I then copied this Db to another computer for use on there, it worked without a Password, so didn't need to worry about it, now I can't open any Db on my machine??

Your help on this obvious pointer would be great!

C

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:29
This is almost certainly an Access workgroup issue that has been covered many times before on this forum. Running the wizard has created an MDW file on your PC that will require password access from your PC. However, if you copy the DB file only to another PC - password prompt will not appear. Try seasrching on workgroup permissions etc.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 12:29
Running Access Security Wizard without first reading and understanding the FAQ's is a recipe for a problem as you now know.

Basically I suspect thatthe system.mdw has been used for security and thatis is default workgroup.

Hope you have a backup.

If you PM me with an email address I have a couple of documents too big to post here that make good reading under these circumstances.

Len

cclambie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:29
Thanks to Len for the Security File, It is very useful!

Solution to problem was simple.

Did a search for the System.mdw file and deleted it.
No longer was I asked for a password when trying to login to Access.

Lessons from the Doc:
1. Don't use wizards!!
2. Understand what you are doing before you do it.
3. Always have backups (I did!) :)

C

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom