Where are we with this situation? (1 Viewer)

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:46
Would moderators, et al., provide an estimate/evaluation of the aftermath of the hijacking. For example:

1) Neither the Sample Code nor Sample Databases categories are up. Can they be restored, even if initially empty.

2) Number of posts – the display (in my case) is about 110 less than actual. I’m assuming this is the case with most posters. Any idea how that worked?

3) An advanced search by user-name brings up posts back to 27 Oct 05. The links, however, are mostly dead. Curious how the posts got saved when the hijacking occurred in November.

4) Can someone provide an explanation of this highjacking and what it entailed? Where did the data (previous posts) go? Were they deleted, never to appear again, or do they now exist in some remote location.

5) If you oppose Dick Cheney’s endorsement of torture as a valid tool of war, would you be willing to make an exception in this case?

6) If you oppose Dick Cheney’s endorsement of torture as a valid tool of war, would you be willing to make an exception in the case of the host that systematically failed to provide adequate backup protection?

Bob

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:46
Hi Bob,

I just dropped back in myself. I take it that the site did get hacked.
Jon said data loss was to the tune of 100,000 posts. Apparently the
Server host only had a 1 day backup retention period. Ouch! ... that
should be addressed.

I have really enjoyed/learned from this site. I do hope that it continues.
I saw that OldSoftBoss (Dave) has already started resubmitting the sample
database section.

I only had a small percentage of posts gone, about the same magnitude as
you. The SQL Server and Visual Basic forums were recent additions with lost
posts and I hope they will be reinstated.

On the surface, it seems that the newer forums and the WaterCooler were
the casualties.

I hope that we can reconstruct and be OK for the future.

btw, Should they catch the culprit(s), no punishment is too severe.

Wayne

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46
I would love to respond, but it seems my moderator status has been removed...again my status changed without any communication to me. :rolleyes:

It seems the only person still with moderator status has been MIA since just before the hijacking took place.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 02:46
Vassago said:
It seems the only person still with moderator status has been MIA since just before the hijacking took place.

Nobody has moderator status at the moment.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46
SJ McAbney said:
Nobody has moderator status at the moment.

You still did at the time I wrote that. I noticed it was removed shortly thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom