Effect of calculated controls in reports

corai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:22
Hi All,

I am currently designing a report with lots of calculated controls in the 'detail' section of the reports. An example would be as follows:

="For this period " & [Trading Name] & " has made cost savings of approximately: £" & Round([SumOfCOST SAVING],0)

I have found it easier to format the reports by making calculations (IIfs, Sum etc) in the reports rather than making these calculations in a query beforehand and pulling them in from the query. I'm wondering whether this would make any difference to the performance of the database and time to generate reports?

Many thanks,

Corai

The only thing to bear in mind is that you will not be able to perform a Sum or Count on a calculated control.

As for performance, I'm not entirely sure but how I see it is, queries are meant to pull data and reports are made to display the data so the calculations should be faster in the report because it supports all VBA functions and methods.

I've found that my report's calculated fields do not display instantly. I don't know whether this is just bad design by me, but they require clicking on in Report view before they show up, so I'm currently trying to move them back to the query

I don't know whether this is just bad design by me, but they require clicking on in Report view before they show up, ...
It might be as a result of bad design or a corrupted report. It might be worth creating a new report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom