Entering Data Once

Keith Burgess

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:34
Hi There,

I have built a very basic DB and am running it alongside our existing Excel system of recording customer data.
I have transferred a lot of data from the Excel spreadsheet to the DB Table using Cut & Paste. For all future incoming data is there any way I can just enter it onto the Excel spreadsheet and it is automatically transferred to the DB table or am i consigned to entering two lots of the same data?

Best Regards
Keith:(

If you have some unique key on the spreadsheet that ties to your DB, you can.
Link the spreadsheet as a table into your DB.
Now all you have to do is have a query that detects new enteries in the spreadsheet and appends that data to your DB via that unique key not existing.
You can run the query via a button, or automagically (I suggest in this case a button with the limited explaination you gave).

I hate to ask (but I'm gonna anyway), but why not just design a user form for entering the data instead of the Excel sheet? Access exists because Excel is not really meant to store changing data.

jason.

SleepyJay said:
I hate to ask (but I'm gonna anyway), but why not just design a user form for entering the data instead of the Excel sheet? Access exists because Excel is not really meant to store changing data.
Aint that the truth, how ever we can't seem to get the users to break the habit. That is one of our biggest promlems at my company. And what I really, really hate is when they give us data on a spreadsheet that we have to import, then they run a report against that data we get the "It dosn't match my spreadsheet, what is wrong with your system?" :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom