Latitude and Longitude Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Rudi
  • Start date Start date
R

Rudi

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to input decimal lat and long (5 decimal places) into an access table which is then imported into Mappoint in order for each position to be assigned a pushpin and displayed on the map?

I have tried this but to no avail. Please could you also tell me how the system would discern between East and West (and north and south for that matter)?

Your assistance would help unscramble my brains!

Rudi :confused:

Rudi said:
Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to input decimal lat and long (5 decimal places) into an access table which is then imported into Mappoint in order for each position to be assigned a pushpin and displayed on the map?

What part are you decimalising? The minutes or seconds of the degrees?

Please could you also tell me how the system would discern between East and West (and north and south for that matter)?

I'd store one as positive and one as negative, each way.

Mile-O-Phile said:
What part are you decimalising? The minutes or seconds of the degrees?

I'd store one as positive and one as negative, each way.

Thanks - I think I've cracked it! I store the South and West coordinates as negatives and then import them into MapPoint which seems to work. The problem I had was with getting Access 97 to recognise a number with 5 decimal places - However, it seems that if I use Access 2000 there is a facility in design for decimal... I then use 5 decimal places and it seems to work OK without rounding the whole number up.

Many thanks for your help.

Rudi :D

If your data was being rounded in A97, it was because your data field was defined as integer rather than double. Integers are whole numbers and so could not store decimal values and would need to round them.

Pat Hartman said:
If your data was being rounded in A97, it was because your data field was defined as integer rather than double. Integers are whole numbers and so could not store decimal values and would need to round them.

Thank you Pat - I only wish I'd spoken to you several days ago! Of course it works perfectly!!! :D

I had a problem with not knowing how to map my Streets and trips software with Access 2002. I have the addresses in a table and now wish to be able to start Streets and trips from an access form loaded with the addresses as pushpins on the map. Could you help me with that?

Rishi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom