Partial Text Compare Across Two Tables

mab9

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:15
Hi,

I'm trying to compare partial text records across two tables.

The first table simply has a description, such as:
DescriptionHammer
Bone Saw
Power Saw

The second table is a list of terms and a category, such as:
Term, Category
Hammer, 1
Saw, 2

I'm looking to build a query will compare the two and assign each description a category based on the partial match. It seems like this should be fairly easy to do, but I'm struggling to find anything to point down that path.

Any ideas?

Assuming the two tables are named tblDescription and tblCategory, try this non-equi join query.

SELECT [Description], [Term], [Category]
FROM [tblDescription] INNER JOIN [tblCategory] ON InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term]);

To see if there are also descriptions that don't have an assigned category number, you can change INNER JOIN to LEFT JOIN.

Note: Non-equi join queries are non-updatable and cannot be displayed in query Design View.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just add:
InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term])>0
to the criteria for desired field?

And:
InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term])=0
for the non-matched items?

This would allow to view in design view and i think it might even still be updateable???

'Adding InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term])>0 to the criteria for desired field' uses the Where Clause to link the table instead of using a join. In Access, a join is more efficient than a link in the Where Clause. And using InStr() in the link still makes the query non-updatable.

Using 'InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term])=0' cannot return the required non-matched records. If you add a Drill in the poster's data, such a query will return the results:
Code:
Description	Term	Category
Hammer		Saw	2
Bone Saw	Hammer	1
Power Saw	Hammer	1
Drill		Hammer	1
Drill		Saw	2
which are certainly meaningless,

whereas Jon's Left Join can correctly return the desired results and in one single query:
Code:
Description	Term	Category
Hammer		Hammer	1
Bone Saw	Saw	2
Power Saw	Saw	2
Drill

I think Jon's solution has been well thought out.

^

I'm sorry, I should have added that I didn't mean to be doubting the original solution.
I'm always trying to learn new methods.

I thought I remembered using the Instr successfully as a criteria before in a similar circumstance, but perhaps I was mistaken.

sorry.

Assuming the two tables are named tblDescription and tblCategory, try this non-equi join query.

SELECT [Description], [Term], [Category]
FROM [tblDescription] INNER JOIN [tblCategory] ON InStr([tblDescription].[Description], [tblCategory].[Term]);

To see if there are also descriptions that don't have an assigned category number, you can change INNER JOIN to LEFT JOIN.

Note: Non-equi join queries are non-updatable and cannot be displayed in query Design View.

Jon this is perfect! Thanks a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom