I'm in Love with ChatGPT (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:48
No, I'm not a patch on many of the experts here and in particular MajP..... A whole level, or more above me.
I know how you feel.

I spent HOURS with Chatty on a PowerShell script. She had suggested we add a logging/transcript feature since it had a lot of moving parts. Things were going great until something broke. I kept shareing the errors and results and she kept offering alternatives and at one point, we started losing ground.

I finally realized that I would have to stop relying on her and try give this a look. Didn't take long to realize that she had changed a variable on one of the functions $Messages vice $Message. Once I pointed that out, things went well.

The moral, ChatGPT is a great tool, but ultimately, it falls on then wielder of the tool to make sure it is used properly...

Edit: After I posted that, I asked Chatty if there was an equivalent to Option Explicit in PowerShell. Of course there was, which furthers my point. At the beginning when I shared the VB Script I wanted to convert to PS, I asked her to make the script as PS-centic as possible and employ best practices. At no point was strict variable declaration introduced, not even after it proved to be an issue.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:48
MajP or ChatGPT...I would choose MajP 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. There are a few on this forum, yourself included, who fit that bill.

I liked your post because it compliments MajP and at ChatGPT's expense at the same time, both of which I think are roundly deserved.

ChatGPT, (just like the 15,000 competing tools that rolled out within a month of its arrival) has plenty of potential.
But, as the critiquing analyst, I tend to see the problematic gap in what people EXPECT vs. what it delivers - which is plenty. And dangerous.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:48
I had an awful lot of fun making this YouTube video! I had my phone tuned into chat GPT, with Chatty listening to me as I created the video. This created some hilarious incidents! I got the idea from one of Sam Altman's videos on the new chat GPT, where Sam said while he's working on his computer he has chatGPT open on his phone so he can ask it questions. He doesn't have to open a new tab to search for anything. All he has to do is ask chat GPT...

As you'll see in the video, interacting with ChatGPT can be unpredictable, partly because it's constantly evolving, and partly because I'm still figuring out the best way to use it!

In the video I demonstrate a custom chat GPT interface. these are called MyChatGPT's. The purpose of this custom chatGPT I setup, is to create YouTube descriptions for my YouTube Videos. Created from copy and paste information.

I hope you like the video and if you would like me to go deeper into how to create a custom chat GPT then please comment on the YouTube video as this will help my YouTube channel and the more positive comments I get the more likely I will be to do the "MyChatGPT" creation video.

ChatGPT-4o - MyChatGPT - Create YouTube Description​

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This is new for ChatGPT-4o

"Integrate various applications with ChatGPT for enhanced functionality."

I asked the Question:-
The text box where I type messages to you has the paper clip icon to the left and there's a message beside it which states:-

NEW!
Connect apps...
Connect apps to access files in chat GPT, like docs and spreadsheets...

I realize I can upload those types of documents with the paper clip icon but I'm not sure what it means by connect apps?

Please enlighten me!

ChatGPT said
The "Connect apps" feature in ChatGPT allows you to integrate various applications with ChatGPT for enhanced functionality. This means you can directly link certain apps to access and manage files, documents, spreadsheets, and other types of data within the ChatGPT environment.

What "Connect Apps" Means:
Integration with Third-Party Apps:

You can connect third-party apps like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive.
This allows you to pull in files from these apps directly into your ChatGPT conversations.
Enhanced File Management:

By connecting apps, you can manage and share documents and spreadsheets more seamlessly.
It provides a streamlined way to access your files without needing to download and upload them manually each time.
How to Use "Connect Apps":
Click the Paperclip Icon:

Click on the paperclip icon to access the file upload options.
You will see an option to "Connect apps."
Authorize Connections:

Select the app you want to connect.
You will be prompted to authorize the connection, granting ChatGPT access to your files in that app.
Access and Share Files:

Once connected, you can browse and select files from your linked apps.
Share documents, spreadsheets, and other files directly in the chat.
Benefits:
Convenience: Quickly access and share files without leaving the ChatGPT interface.
Efficiency: Save time by reducing the need to switch between different applications.
Collaboration: Enhance collaborative efforts by easily sharing and discussing documents.
This feature aims to make your workflow more efficient and integrated, especially if you frequently work with documents and need to reference or share them during your conversations.

Uncle Gizmo Said:-
Connect to Google Drive?

So what you're saying is I could connect it to my Google drive?

If so, do I really want you mooching around in my Google Drive?

How safe is it is my data private?

ChatGPT Said:-
Yes, you can connect ChatGPT to your Google Drive to facilitate easy access and sharing of documents. However, your concerns about privacy and data security are valid and important.

Data Privacy and Security
Controlled Access:

When you connect an app like Google Drive, you grant specific permissions to ChatGPT. This typically includes access to view, manage, or share files.
You can control which files and folders are accessible.
Data Security:

OpenAI, the developer of ChatGPT, employs strong security measures to protect user data.
All data transfers are encrypted to ensure privacy and security during communication.
Privacy Policy:

OpenAI has a comprehensive privacy policy outlining how data is used and protected.
User data is generally not stored or retained beyond the session, except for specific cases where data retention is necessary for security, debugging, or compliance.
Revoking Access:

You can revoke access to your Google Drive at any time through your Google account settings.
This immediately cuts off any permissions previously granted to ChatGPT.
Recommendations
Use Selective Permissions:

Only grant access to the specific files or folders you need to share with ChatGPT.
Avoid giving blanket access to your entire Google Drive.
Review Permissions:

Regularly review and manage app permissions in your Google account settings to ensure only trusted apps have access.
Sensitive Data:

Avoid sharing highly sensitive or confidential data through connected apps if you have privacy concerns.
How to Connect Google Drive

In the chat interface, click the paperclip icon to access file options.
Select "Connect apps":

Follow the prompts to connect your Google Drive.
You will be directed to a Google authorization page to grant permissions.
Authorize Access:

Grant the necessary permissions to allow ChatGPT to access your Google Drive.
Manage Connected Apps:

You can manage and revoke access from your Google account settings at any time.
By being mindful of the permissions you grant and the data you share, you can use this feature securely and effectively.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Uncle Gizmo Said

So if I give you permission to view my Google drive in one thread will that automatically transfer permission to any other thread I open?

ChatGPT said
Permissions granted to ChatGPT for accessing your Google Drive are typically session-specific and tied to your user account. However, the exact behavior can vary based on the implementation by OpenAI. Here's a general understanding:

Session and Thread Permissions
Session-Specific Permissions:

Typically, when you grant permission to access your Google Drive, it applies to the current session or thread where the permission was granted.
This means the access would generally be limited to the specific interaction or set of interactions within that session.
User Account Linking:

If your user account is linked across multiple sessions or threads, the permission might persist across those sessions. This depends on how the service manages user authentication and session data.
If the permission is tied to your user account, it could be accessible across different threads until you revoke it.
Revoking Permissions:

You can revoke permissions at any time from your Google account settings, which will terminate access across all sessions and threads.
It's advisable to regularly review and manage your app permissions to ensure your data remains secure.
Practical Steps
Granting Permission:

When granting permission, be aware of the scope of access you are providing.
Only share specific folders or files needed for the task to minimize exposure.
Revoke After Use:

After you have completed the necessary task, consider revoking the access from your Google account settings.
This ensures that no further sessions or threads have unintended access to your Google Drive.
Session Awareness:

If you start a new thread and wish to use Google Drive again, you might need to reauthorize access depending on the session management.
Managing Permissions
Google Account Settings:

Go to your Google account settings.
Navigate to "Security" -> "Third-party apps with account access".
Find ChatGPT or the specific application and click "Remove Access".
Regular Reviews:

Conduct regular reviews of all third-party apps connected to your Google account.
Ensure only necessary and trusted apps have access.
By managing permissions carefully and revoking access when not needed, you can maintain control over your data privacy and security.

Uncle Gizmo Said - Upload from my Computer...???
One of the options is to upload from my computer... Does this mean I have to provide a specific single file? Or if I provide a folder will it access all the documents in the folder?

ChatGPT Said
When you upload from your computer using the paperclip icon in ChatGPT, you typically need to provide a specific single file. Here's how it works:

Uploading from Your Computer
Single File Upload:

The upload option allows you to select and upload individual files from your computer.
You will need to select each file you want to upload one at a time.
Folder Upload:

Generally, the interface does not support uploading an entire folder directly.
If you need to share multiple files from a folder, you will have to select and upload each file separately.
Steps to Upload a File

In the chat interface, click the paperclip icon to open the file upload dialog.
Select a File:

Browse your computer to find the specific file you want to upload.
Select the file and click "Open" or the equivalent action to upload it.

Handling Multiple Files
If you need to share multiple files from a folder, you have a couple of options:

Upload Files Individually:

Upload each file one by one using the paperclip icon.

Zip the Folder:
If you need to share all files within a folder, you can compress the folder into a single zip file.
Upload the zip file using the paperclip icon. This way, you only need to upload one file containing all the documents.
Example: Zipping a Folder
Create a Zip File:

On Windows: Right-click the folder -> Select "Send to" -> Choose "Compressed (zipped) folder".
On Mac: Right-click the folder -> Select "Compress [folder name]".
Upload the Zip File:

Click the paperclip icon and select the newly created zip file to upload it.
By using these methods, you can efficiently share the necessary files or documents without manually uploading each one.

Uncle Gizmo Said
So if I had 100 text documents I could compact them into a single zip file and upload them and you would be able to read them all?

ChatGPT Said
Yes, you can compress multiple text documents into a single zip file and upload it. Here’s how it works:

Steps to Upload Multiple Text Documents as a Zip File
Create a Zip File:

Windows: Select all the text documents, right-click, choose "Send to" -> "Compressed (zipped) folder".
Mac: Select all the text documents, right-click, choose "Compress [number] Items".
Upload the Zip File:

Click the paperclip icon in the chat interface.
Select the newly created zip file and upload it.
What Happens After Uploading
Extraction and Reading: Once you upload the zip file, I will extract its contents and read the text documents inside.
Processing Multiple Files: I can process multiple files from the zip, provided they are text files or documents that I can parse.
Limitations
File Types: Ensure that the documents are in a readable format, such as .txt, .docx, or similar text-based formats.
Size Limit: Be aware of any file size limits for uploads in the platform you are using.
Example
If you have 100 .txt documents, you can:

Select and Compress: Select all 100 documents and create a single zip file.
Upload: Use the paperclip icon to upload the zip file.
Access and Read: I will then be able to access and read each of the 100 text documents within the zip file.
This method allows you to efficiently share a large number of documents without having to upload each one individually.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Zip the Folder:

I experimented with this by uploading the files that are used for creating a Chrome extension in a zip file. They are very small files, a matter of kilobytes. Chat GPT invoked a python code to extract the information from the files in the zip file and it took an excruciatingly long time. And also resulted in chat GPT locking up expressing that there was an error..... I think loading up the individual files might prove better. I will give it a try tomorrow....

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In this video, I explore ChatGPT-4o - MyChatGPT and demonstrate how to automate creating a YouTube description.

Initially, ChatGPT-4o was not clear on what the "o" signifies. However, I’ve discovered it means "Omni."

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This video from - No Code Ireland - demonstrates how to automate " EVERYTHING " with ChatGPT & Integromat, (now called 'Make' unfortunately)

THIS IS A MUST WATCH VIDEO!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom