need to see structured organization with query (1 Viewer)

raydan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:52
Hi, all.

Im trying to show multi level organization with a query and im not sure how to do it. I have a table that is named Originators, that includes all of the persons personal info and this table gererates a OriginatorID. Next I have a table called OrgTree that has the fields as follows:

OriginatorID---Auto lookup to Originators---OriginatorID
LastName--Text
FirstName--Text
StartDate--Date/Time
UpLineOrigID--Autolookup to Originators-OriginatorID
UpLineLast---Text
UpLineFirst--- Text

This works so far, but I would like to see all the people brought in by originator (a) and all the people brougth in by those people and so on. I guess this would be a tree, but im not sure if thats my problem.... Can this be worked out with a query or do I need to do something else. God I hope it can be done with a query.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:52
Not at all easy. You don't know how wide or how deep your tree is going to be. If you have fixed width and depth, this is fairly easy. As it is you will need to use VBA and this is beyond the likes of me.

I've tackled this in the past by using OrgPlus. This will take a list of data including the parent ID just as you have and turn this into a nice chart.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:52
For starters, remove the autolookups from the table. These will cause nothing but trouble once you start using queries and code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom