Need macro to run if 2 form fields are correct (1 Viewer)

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
Today, 00:38
I have a form that has Start Date, End date, Employee ID and a "password". I have a table that has each ID and "password". How can I get the macro to run IF and only IF the Employee ID and "password" entered are correct (and not just both ON the table, but as a pair). I would prefer the simplest method as I do not know any programming or VBA or SQL.

Please help. I've been trying to work this out for a few days and I've done search after search and I am getting more and more confused.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:38
You can use a DLookup to get the password from the table for the ID on the form, and compare the password on the form to that. If you search here for "login form" or something to that effect, you should find plenty of examples.

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
Where do I put the code? in the macro as a condition? Query? attach it to the button on my form?

DLookup("EmployeeID","tblEntry","Criteria = 'Ruby' or 'Wish'")

Does this look alright?

How/where do you compare?

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
I tried to put it in the Condition for the Macro and I got the following error:

The expression you entered as a query parameter produced this error: 'The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'Criteria."

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Typically a login form would have a button, which is where the test would be done (but it could be done other ways). A multiple criteria would look like:

DLookup("EmployeeID","tblEntry","Criteria = 'Ruby' or Criteria = 'Wish'")

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
I added the DLookup to the Where Condition of the OpenReport on the macro. It ran, however, I can write ANYTHING in the "password" box in my form and it still runs. It's not comparing the input to the table. I feel like I'm close, but where/how do I write some sort of IF statement. A link in one of your responses took me to http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm is this a form control that I am looking for?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, and I wouldn't have it in a wherecondition. To accomplish your stated goal: "How can I get the macro to run IF and only IF" I would do something like:

Code:
If DLookup(...) = PasswordOnForm Then
  'run the macro
Else
  Msgbox "Wrong password"
End If

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
This is what I have and it doesn't run the report when the password is correct. When it is wrong, the error does pop up so I'm halfway there!

If DLookup("password", "tblEntry", "password = 'Ruby' or password = 'Wish'") = Forms!frmDateSelector!Text7 Then
'DoCmd.OpenReport rptTotal1047221, acViewPreview,,,acWindowNormal
Else
MsgBox "Wrong password"
End If

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
This doesn't work either....still trying.

Private Sub Command4_Click()
If DLookup("password", "tblEntry", "password = 'Ruby' or password = 'Disney' or password = 'Metal'") = Forms!frmDateSelector!Text7 Then
RunMacro mcrpassword
Else
MsgBox "Wrong password"
End If
End Sub

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would expect a user ID in the criteria, not the password field. In other words, you want to say "Find me the password for the user = the user on the form". Thus I would expect:

If DLookup("password", "tblEntry", "EmployeeID = " & Forms!frmDateSelector.ControlWithTheID) = Forms!frmDateSelector!Text7 Then

RachelKenyon

ACCESS newbie
Local time
Got a big fat Data mismatch error.

Also it doesn't like the line.
DoCmd.OpenReport rptTotal1047221, acViewPreview,,,acWindowNormal
wants to debug, but when I follow the instructions for the line it STILL doesn't like it.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the ID is text it would have to be:

DLookup("password", "tblEntry", "EmployeeID = '" & Forms!frmDateSelector.ControlWithTheID & "'")

The instructions should have said the report name had to be a string:

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptTotal1047221", acViewPreview,,,acWindowNormal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom