Dynamic setting RecordSource not display on the subform (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 04:38
What I would like to know is how the Tab control is not visiible until the combo is used.?
From what I found, it was set to visible, no code in the main form to hide it.?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
What I would like to know is how the Tab control is not visiible until the combo is used.?
From what I found, it was set to visible, no code in the main form to hide it.?

There were a lots of odd features in this app

I found the tab headers kept disappearing on me ....I think the tabs shifted upwards as dragging the tab control down solved that ... for a while ...but I had to do it several times.

I wasted a lot of time changing the bound column in the combo to the ID field. Doing that is the usual approach especially as that field was used for master/child links. However it failed doing that ...due to the union SQL used?

Another quirk was that Data Entry should have been set to No. However doing that also failed for me. I went all round the houses before changing the setting as described by Steve. Its a property I never use in my own apps

thqnryjt

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:38
I've only looked at this parent/subform form from the point of view of the 'summary' subform. Haven't looked at the other subforms.

I'm curious as to why in the main form there needs to be a recordsource. It might as well be a straight out unbound main form controlling the subforms. I noticed that the Data Only property was set and I can see why, so as not to show existing records. Unless there is something else going on, remove the recordsource from the main form.

Steve,

Yeah I thought the same, I don't need the recordsource on the main form, but for some reasons when I removed it I don't see the tabs appear so I just left it there.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Sorry to bother you Colin, but could you upload that so that 2007 can also see it please.?
I'd like to see your changes.?

TIA

Well you got there quicker than me ....:banghead:
I've removed all the unnecessary requery & refresh lines - all they are doing is causing lots of flickering.
Also removed the double filtering of frmSummary.
Much more responsive now as well

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Gasman
There is definitely something odd about this database....
Tried saving as an MDB - no errors but nothing happens

Not sure what changes I made that made it not 2007 compatible
So I've removed the Windows themes from controls & saved it again
If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try

Attachments

• 4Gasman2007.zip
    767.2 KB · Views: 43

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I get Unrecognized database format with that as well, even opening with the shift key.?

Could you just post the AfterUpdate code of the combo instead please.?

Thank you.

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 15:38
Steve,

Yeah I thought the same, I don't need the recordsource on the main form, but for some reasons when I removed it I don't see the tabs appear so I just left it there.

I can't explain that, but I removed the recordsource and the tabs are still displayed and working.

thqnryjt

Registered User.
Local time
Gasman,

Here's the afterupdate codes behind the combo box that has the changes made from Collin.

Quynh

Attachments

• cmbId_AfterUpdate.docx
    14.5 KB · Views: 51

thqnryjt

Registered User.
Local time
There were a lots of odd features in this app

I found the tab headers kept disappearing on me ....I think the tabs shifted upwards as dragging the tab control down solved that ... for a while ...but I had to do it several times.

I wasted a lot of time changing the bound column in the combo to the ID field. Doing that is the usual approach especially as that field was used for master/child links. However it failed doing that ...due to the union SQL used?

Another quirk was that Data Entry should have been set to No. However doing that also failed for me. I went all round the houses before changing the setting as described by Steve. Its a property I never use in my own apps

The tab header disappear because I had the subform bigger than the main form, I've shorten the subform and the problem disappear.

thqnryjt

Registered User.
Local time
Check out the setting, "Filter On Empty Master", yours is currently set to Yes, change it to No, then the records are displayed.

Thank you so much everyone for your inputs. I took Steve's advise and that resolve my issue. Happy Weekend!

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 15:38
Glad you got it solved, I learnt something along the way.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Gasman
Just for completeness I also disabled all the code in frmSummary as it wasn't needed

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

'Remove all code - not needed & causes flicker
Private Sub Form_Activate()
'Me.Refresh
End Sub

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
'Me.Refresh
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Click()
'Me.Refresh