Once edit data, updated table loses specified appended record (1 Viewer)

Steven_Bash

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:57
Hey ya'll!
So i have multiple tables,queries, and forms, in this form i search a record, then edit it on this recordsource table. then i have this editquery that has that recordsource table and "allthedata" table jointing and getting the "allthedata" table to update(edit) its record/data with recordsource table data. Before that I have this append query which appends one record to the "allthedata" table each time this editquery runs. The issue is before any edits, the "allthedata" table has that appended record but once i edit any record, it blanks out that record on the "allthedata" table... please help? like whats causing that & solution. im thinking it has to do with the editquery when it runs but i dont know exactly what. Thanks

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:57
Usual arrangement is form does entry/edit for one table. Not really understanding your setup. Suggest you post db for analysis.

Last edited:

Steven_Bash

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:57
I can’t pull up the database up right now. I have an append query that adds one record to the table after each run the batadbase makes. So it’s on both tables right now. The allthedata table is all the data over the months. Now every month you can edit any record within it.the edit takes place on record source table. So I also need the edit to show in the allthedata table. It does so but at the same time blanks out the appended record. I need for that not to happen.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:57
This sounds as if you are trying to have a table for this months data, then append that to a table with "Every Months" data, is that correct?

If it is, you are approaching this from the wrong angle. You should enter everything into the the everything table and simply identify what date it was added, using a DateCreated field.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:57
Why are you keeping two "current" copies of the data? There is a frequent need to keep historical copies and in that case a copy a each record is saved to history after it is changed in the current database but the history table is NEVER updated. Only changed records are added. No existing history record is ever changed since that would defeat the purpose of logging history.

In very large mainframe applications, data warehouses are created to copy the transactional data for reporting purposes so the current database doesn't have to be opened to queries by users. The warehouses are recreated weekly or monthly depending on how current the data needs to be.

But, there is no valid reason I can come up with where you would create copies of data in two tables AND require that both be updated when one is changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom