Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,820 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Repeated Autonumber Gremlins

Hi Cronk
If you read his spoilers, that's one of the solutions the DBGuy suggested.

BUT to repeat that's not what I did ...
No append, update or delete queries were used in achieving this 'feature'
See post #6 for further info

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 01-13-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarification
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

You could re-seed the table via code, but I would hardly call that an accident unless the accident was to use the wrong parameters.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #18
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

I originally used the word 'unintentionally' to describe how this occurred.
The explanation is in how I created and populated the table

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 01-13-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #19
isladogs
Part time moderator

Congratulations to Frothy for working out how I did this.
He said he knew as he'd also done the same dumbass method himself!!!!

The issue with repeat autonumbers came about when I created a simple routine for use with my synchronise data website article: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/s...ata/4594507704

I used a backup table tblDataBKP to 'restore' a table tblData to its original state ready for the next synchronisation test.
The backup table has an autonumber PK field (ID) and 6 records.

Back in post #6 & #16, I listed several things I didn't do:
Quote:
I didn't do any of the following:
a) intend to create a table like this - that was done unintentionally
b) do anything in Allen Browne's article to cause this effect
c) reseed before uploading
d) compact the database
e) delete any records before uploading the file
f) use append, update or delete queries to achieve this 'feature'
I was careful with how I worded each of those points!
Method 1 explains what I actually did

Method 1 - UPDATED EXPLANATION
The very stupid method I used to restore the table was the cause of the problem:
- Use a make table query to create populate tblData.
- This does not re-create the PK
- I then used a data definition query to set the ID field as the PK field but mistakenly set as autonumber again
RESULT: The table has 6 records but the next record added will have ID=1.
This causes a key violation error.
Similarly for the next 5 records added until it reaches ID=7

The attached database includes this method so you can try each method for yourself.
Feel free to say to yourself "How can anyone be so dumb as to do this!"

The attached db also contains 2 methods that do work

Method 2
As method 1 but set the PK field without resetting the autonumber
RESULT: The next record added will have ID=7. FIXED!

Method 3
The correct method is of course to create the table first
e.g. using a data definition query to include an autonumber PK field
Then use an append query to populate the table
RESULT: The next record added will have ID=7. FIXED!

NOTE I'm in the process of updating my website article to fix this error and add several additional methods of synchronising data from an external table with no PK field e.g. Excel or CSV file

I have now updated the attached file
Attached Files
File Type: zip RepeatAutonumber - Explained_v2.zip (42.6 KB, 6 views)

Website links:

Colin

Last edited by isladogs; 01-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
jdraw (01-14-2019), theDBguy (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

They do say that experience is knowledge you acquire immediately after you actually needed it.

Last edited by Frothingslosh; 01-14-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Hi Colin,

In your list of "I didn't do any of the following:," I guess we could argue item (c) could have been worded as "intentionally reseed before uploading." Because the code you used:
Code:
CurrentDb.Execute "ALTER TABLE tblData ALTER COLUMN ID COUNTER(1, 1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY;"
Does reseed the Autonumber field by using COUNTER(1, 1) because it is saying start the counter at 1 and increment by 1.

Also, in your "Method 1," you said by using a make-table query,

Quote:
- This does not re-create the PK or the autonumber datatype
I agree with the first part but not the second part. As a test, I executed the following code in the Immediate Window:
Code:
DoCmd.Close acTable, "tblData"
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "tblData"
CurrentDb.Execute "SELECT tblDataBKP.* INTO tblData FROM tblDataBKP;"
I then opened the new tblData in Design view and see that the ID field is already set as an Autonumber data type. When I tried to add a new record to this new table, the ID field correctly used the next number in sequence (7).

The way I might fix Method 1 is as follows, rather than use the following DDL statement:
Code:
'add PK if not already done
CurrentDb.Execute "ALTER TABLE tblData ALTER COLUMN ID COUNTER(1, 1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY;"
You could try using the following DDL statement instead:
Code:
CurrentDb.Execute "ALTER TABLE tblData ADD CONSTRAINT PK PRIMARY KEY (ID);"
When I opened your original table in design view, I noticed the weird name for your primary key index. I knew it had something to do with what happened, but I didn't think you were using code to cause the problem.

|
|

Last edited by theDBguy; 01-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #22
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
This does not re-create the PK or the autonumber datatype
Hi DBG
Oops - Sorry - I'm still making stupid mistakes!
Just about to sign of for a while but will correct my earlier explanation later this evening!
Not sure if my brain was working at all during this process

As for the point about 'reseeding', I was deliberately being economical with the truth there ......
and I was partly getting my own back with you for being economical with the truth in your combobox gremlins example!

Of course I was aware that I had seeded using code.
However I didn't reseed before uploading - on other words I hadn't intentionally set this up to fail if you see what I mean

Hadn't noticed the weird index name before - not done by me

Anyway, I still say method 3 is the best method to use

Website links:

Colin

Last edited by isladogs; 01-14-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Extra info
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #23
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Hi Colin,

Not saying Method 3 is not the best method. Just saying we could also fix Method 1.

Cheers!

|
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
isladogs
Part time moderator

OK - I managed to confuse myself completely in my earlier explanation
Attached is what I hope is a correct explanation! I have also edited my earlier attempt in #19

In summary....
Method 1 - WRONG - I incorrectly reset the autonumber whilst setting the PK field

Method 2 - FIXED - This time I set the PK without resetting the autonumber

Method 3 - BETTER - Created the table together with autonumber PK and then populated it

Thanks to DBG for correcting my dumb errors
Attached Files
File Type: zip RepeatAutonumber - Explained_v2.zip (42.6 KB, 8 views)

Website links:

Colin
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,151 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingslosh
They do say that experience is knowledge you require immediately after you actually needed it.
I've always heard this as "Experience is the ability to more quickly recognize your mistakes when you make them again" (attributed to author Ambrose Bierce.)
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #26
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Bah, should have been 'acquire', not 'require'. Fixing the original quote.

Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #27
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
I've always heard this as "Experience is the ability to more quickly recognize your mistakes when you make them again" (attributed to author Ambrose Bierce.)
Well this has certainly been an 'experience' for me....

Website links:

Colin
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #28
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

isladogs, you've been confused by all this? I was giving up on following the narrative, then it seems you did exactly what I was referring to. This is what I used to reseed the table and reproduce the results:
CurrentDb.Execute "ALTER TABLE [tabledata] ALTER COLUMN ID COUNTER(1,1)"

Oh well...
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #29
isladogs
Part time moderator

Sorry about that. I made a complete pig's ear of this ....

Going back to the article by Allen Browne, I've since been trying to replicate his comments about negative autonumbers. I've no idea how it could happen 'accidentally' but its easy enough to fool Access to create these deliberately.
I've added 4 incorrect autonumber records using an APPEND query (just as DBG did earlier in this thread)

What's 'interesting' now is that the StartDate and EndDate for the first 4 records aren't editable (but the 'NumberField' is)
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (13.2 KB, 41 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Autonumber Trickery.zip (19.2 KB, 7 views)

Website links:

Colin

Tags
repeated autonumbers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: