Appending empty rows (1 Viewer)

Access_Help

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:19
I want the user to select the number of 'entries' required' from a comboxbox, lets say the user selects 3, after clicking a button , it will add three empty rows to the table.

I'm guessing this can be achieved through VBA?

Any pre-written script will be appreciated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, it’s possible. But first, can you tell us why you need to do this? Just curious...

Access_Help

Registered User.
Local time
An exam requires 1 invigilator per 30 students. If there are 120 students (a calculated field will work out the number of invigilators). I require one row for each invigilator required.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:19
Assuming your table has an autonumber PK field and at least one text field, one way to do this is to create a procedure to add a null value to the text field

Code:
Sub AddEmptyRecords()

Dim N As Integer

"loop through and add required number of empty records
For N = 1 to 3 'example value 
'For N =1 to Forms!FormName.ControlName 'Normally get the number of loops from a form control
   CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO Table1 ( TField ) SELECT Null AS TField;"
Next

End Sub

However, surely if you know how many invigilators you need, then you know when you need them (exam date). So I would populate at least that one field ready to add invigilator names later

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:19
An radically alternative approach can be found in Post 3 on this thread

It uses an outer join to make virtual records appear on a form that only become present in the table when the other data is filled into a record. The technique could be used to make all relevant invigilators automatically appear as virtual records but only write records of that are selected by a user.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:19
Thanks Greg
That's a neat solution which I've also used in the past for a similar situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom