My U.K. Excursion (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 12:10
Well Access Commandos,

I asked the misses where she would like to spend our Labor Day weekend and she left it up to me. So I picked jolly old England.

If any of you are within distance of the Oxfordshire area and would like to have a drink with an obnoxious, displaced yank...I will be in my cups at his location on Sep 2nd:

http://falklandarms.co.uk/home

Would really like to see some of the faces who have helped me out over the last couple of years, hell I may even buy the first round. Least I can do what with that whole 1776 thingy...

Hope you can make it!

John

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:10
I'll make it...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I was hoping you would!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
always a good idea

there is a small restaurant where best to book. Otherwise it is first come first served for the bar area/outside - but if you are staying there, worth a try.

Are you thinking of meeting lunchtime or evening?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Either one works for me. So far Tony, Riddes and yourself have responded. Does either time work better for yous guys?

If there is a better venue nearby, I am all ears...or eyes...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would prefer lunchtime if I'm able to get there

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm only a few miles away and have pencilled out the whole weekend in case you would like a guide for a few hours! So either suits me.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So a lunch thing it is, and we accept the offer for a guided tour, very considerate of you. Grazie Mille!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I would love to make this as it's not too far away, unfortunately I am attending a wedding on this date, so can't make it, which is a real shame, apologies.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I would love to make this as it's not too far away, unfortunately I am attending a wedding on this date, so can't make it, which is a real shame, apologies.

No worries Minty, just means you have to come to Italy. Damn the bad luck!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The time draws nigh, hope to see you guys there. Been longing for a decent stout. There is no such thing as stouts in Italy unless you consider Guinness, which is not a bad choice but is barely in the stout class...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi All,
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it!
I'm stuck in Barcelona due to my 7.10am flight in to Gatwick (Sat, Sept 2nd) being canceled!

Dont know why its been Cancelled? Anyone here know?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Pity, but there are worse places to be stuck in! Our flight to Stansted was delayed too but that was mostly due to a system outage in Naples. The whole airport came to a grinding halt because the damn computer system went belly-up.

Lucky for us we were already at our gate and avoided the free-for-all at the counters. Scary thought that you can disrupt the world with one big EMP attack...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Apologies but I also can't make it.
Hope your weekend break in the Cotswold goes well.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I put my forced short break to good use, did 25000 steps according to Google, on this walk:-

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=19523377

The walk shown stops at the Costa (the one by the segrada familia) - as i couldn't access Costa's WiFi, and tried switching it off and on again, messing up the walk Recording...

That app, wikiloc is brilliant!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BTW - I was pushing me mum in her wheelchair all the way! Don't know how many calories that's worth!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
So - how did it go?

Who won the Beer Pong? :D

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Beer pong...didn't get a chance to play, but I drank about as much as if I had!

We stayed at the Faulkland Arms hotel which was a nice experience. Up to that point the only places in England I had visited were London and Portsmouth. Had no idea how green and hilly the rest of England could be.

CJ and his wife met up with us and we had a nice visit over the weekend. They were kind enough to show us around and we even had one day of sunshine. CJ and I did our best to rid the FA of all their IPA, but we failed miserably!

The missus and I toured the Hook-Norton brewery and had a blast. We tried not to bore the women with shop talk but it was difficult. I am rarely in company that knows more about database development than i do (it isn't because I'm so smart, I choose to surround myself with ignorant people!) and I couldn't help myself.

Hopefully there will be other chances in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom