Question Access 2007 pop-up message to logged-in users (1 Viewer)

hyperion

Local time
Today, 08:26
Hello!

I am new here, hope to find some useful info :)
As an "admin" of our corporate local db, maintaining and/or upgrading is my task.

Usually there are logged-in users, then I have to ask them (mostly via communicator) to please log off, because I can not modify with users in the db.

I would like to send these users a message via Access, like "Please log off from the db for maintenance blabla".

Anybody could help me how to do this?

On the other hand it would be awesome if I could check the online users too!

Please help me, thanks in advance!

hyperion

Local time
Welcome to the Forum

Will this help you, if you look around the Sample Database side in the forum you will find a number of examples.

Thanks for the welcome and for the quick response too!

Unfortunately I was not able to use this. Actually I don't want to kick (and lock) them out, just determine who is online and send them a message to please log out.

Could you please help me in this exactly ?

Dezirous

Rafi Ahmed
Local time
Today, 10:26
@hyperion If you front-end communicates to back-end using adodb connection, then you would have different situation. If you use Adodb to retrieve data from back-end into Temp folder then your back-end would never be occupied by any user and you will have opportunity for maintenance of back-end.

Note: front-end must have a error handler to handler if back-end is not available.

hyperion

Local time
@hyperion If you front-end communicates to back-end using adodb connection, then you would have different situation. If you use Adodb to retrieve data from back-end into Temp folder then your back-end would never be occupied by any user and you will have opportunity for maintenance of back-end.

Note: front-end must have a error handler to handler if back-end is not available.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I am quite new in "programming" Access, so this doesn't tell me anything.

I just have a db on the corp. server, which is used by many users. I would like to send them a simple message via a pop-up windows in Access with specified text, that's all.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:26
I cannot post the code because it is a U.S.Government database, but I can give you the outline of how I approach this problem.

1. My users ALWAYS come in through a "Master Control" form that includes some event code for the Form_Load routine. When the user gets to this event routine, I look up their names in the list of users and set a field in that table to TRUE - that says that the user is "In"

2. When my users leave, I have the "Master Control" form still there and it has an Form_Unload routine. When the user gets to this event routine, I look up their names and set the field to FALSE - that says the user is "Out"

3. If I want them to log out, I can send e-mail to the list of checked users.

4. However, my master control form also contains a timer that awakens every 60 seconds. I can set various values in a table used specifically for the purpose of notifying users of special events. So if the Form_Timer event code detects via DLookup that a particular flag has been set, it goes to look in another table to pick up and display in a message box whatever message I have for them.

5. To stop aggravating them, I have to reset that flag and then remove the message from the special tables.

There is no easy way to do this without learning a lot about VBA, but conceptually this is quite simple. It also demonstrates a really important, perhaps even crucial concept in distributed database front-end management. Whatever you want to tell your users, you have to teach Access how to help you identify the users. Because you are probably going to have to convince their computers/workstations to do the notification for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom