client server installation (1 Viewer)

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:38
Hi,
All these days I was developing applications in Access (mdb) (file-server). Now, I want to put my hands on Access Project (adp) (client-server). I am a new born at this. So any thing I ask might be silly, u know ;)

I want to develop my cleints (front-end) on Access and database on (SQL-Server 7). I have installed SQL-Server 7, on the Server-Computer (Win-2003 advanced server). My Client-Computers run on Win2KPro. Pls let me know on what to install on the client side so that my clients can connect to the SQL-Server. (Is it the complete SQL-Server that I have installed on the Sever side or anything else ???)
Thanks in advance.

Prodigy

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 08:38
you should be using sql server 2000. SQL 7 is nearing EOL and has moved to special support in MS.
In any case, Your client ony needs MS-Access installed. SQL server can communicate with your project over a network, so when you set up your MS Access Project, it will ask you for the server connection information. Once you've provided that, you're ready to rock.

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Re: ClientServerInstallation

Thanks for your prompt reply. It seems so easy now with your answer. Will try getting it. But am sure that I have to come back as this new platform has lotta things to teach me.
Thanks again.

Prodigy.

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Error: client-server installation

Hi Kodo,
Tried as you had suggested but didn't work.
The network has 1 Domain Controller (Server) and multiple clients (logging into the domain). As I try to connect to the SQL-SERVER from the clients (logged in the domain) it gives error "Unable to connect".

However, as I try to connect to the SQL-SERVER from the clients (not logged into domain but logged in the local machine) am able to connect. Any suggestions.

Prodigy.

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
how did you set up the connection on the clients? did you use windows authentication or SQL authentication?

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
Re: client-server installation

Hi Kodo,
I have used windows authentication.
Hope this information helps you in understanding the issue.

Prodigy.

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Try making another user in sql server that can login to that database. Then use those credentials for the project connection and see if that works.

prodigy

Registered User.
Local time
view in client-server

Hi Kodo,
Have tried and it works. I was unable to do so as I had not created user in SQL Server (didnt know ;) ), however as soon I created user in the SQL Server am able to get into my records. Thanks to you.

Now, when I try to create a view from any of the client-side (Access front-end) it gives me error (it does not allow me to save the view). However, as I try to do it sitting on my server its easy and am able to do so. I can also see the view from any client (edit/modify the view too). Any suggestions ?

Prodigy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom