Yesterday, 22:09
Hey, Ken. Welcome.

VA Med Center?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can't speak to what Ken is using, but the Navy used an Access FE and an SQL Server BE for a medical info database for BUMED (U.S. Navy Bureau of Medicine). They were still using it when I retired. Don't forget that Access doesn't have to be homogenous. You can use something else as a BE once you get things working on the FE.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
the computer science professors I talk to at U OF I last week told me that the government is well known for using very outdated software, which includes access databases. the 70 year old professor even gave me 2 examples.

kengooch

Local time
Yesterday, 20:09
We are supposed to get rid of all of our paper Accession logs. So access was already on our computers and since it allows multiple users to access the data, unlike excel, it makes a good tool for a log book.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, Please! Access is not outdated. It is mature.

But the government uses outdated software sometimes because of the regulations regarding development of more modern software. If there is no package that does what they required (and in this case, required by act of Congress - literally), then they must "roll their own." Using leading bleeding edge modern software is considered high-risk. Using software with a proven track record of ability and compliance to regulations is low risk. We've had that discussion in another thread. It applies here.

You know that old phrase, "Sometimes it takes an act of Congress to get something done around here" ??? For the federal government, that is an exact description of the start of the project initiation process. Seriously.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You know that old phrase, "Sometimes it takes an act of Congress to get something done around here" ??? For the federal government, that is an exact description of the start of the project initiation process. Seriously.
no argument. I firmly believe that outdated software use in government is directly related to "government paranoia" that proliferates everywhere in this world.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:09
Adam, Please! Access is not outdated. It is mature.

But the government uses outdated software sometimes because of the regulations regarding development of more modern software. If there is no package that does what they required (and in this case, required by act of Congress - literally), then they must "roll their own." Using leading bleeding edge modern software is considered high-risk. Using software with a proven track record of ability and compliance to regulations is low risk. We've had that discussion in another thread. It applies here.

I am mature also, and my joints ache on a daily basis.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom