System(s) Upgrade (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 23:12
I'll say this, NG. Win10 is a brass-plated son-of-a-booger when it comes to anything that is security-related. Your site's domain admins are going to just LOVE Win10. I'm watching many articles and also seeing stuff happen on my wife's Win10 machines (2). MS has flat out decided to NOT let go of security.

Well Doc, your words were quite prophetic. Here is a direct quote from the “help” desk during one of my many calls to them: “Win 10 has a more rigid security right out of the box than Win 7 and years’ worth of tweaking”.

The “upgrade” has not gone well. I use Sharepoint lists as my BE which has worked very well with my two remote locations. I can link them no problem and everything works as it should - until I close out and try to start the application. On startup, I get an “Access cannot find the object...”

I opened the app bypassing startup and in the Nav Pane, you can see the linked tables and all appears as it should. However, once you double click one of the tables, you get the same error message. I have deleted the linked tables, relinked them numerous time since with the same results.

That was three weeks ago. Since then I have been visited by six technicians who have all tried the same things: HBSS logs, permissions and a long list of things that have not fixed the problem. It was finally referred to a MS field technician who verified that there was indeed a problem and opened up what is called a Premier Ticket. IT speak for “holy shit, we really have a problem!”

Becuase I was Patient Zero, we were allowed to defer the migration of the rest of our machines which is VERY unpopular with the IT department. So much so, that the head of IT informed me that come March 31st, the migration is going through come hell or high water and HE asked ME what my “way ahead” plan was.

The email I sent in reply got me into some hot water to say the least.

Long story even longer, I am changing my BE from SP to SQL. Preparing to clog up that forum with a LOT of questions. FML.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
Your head of IT is going to love it when ALL of his users complain that after the Win10 switch, every last one of them has some really nasty problem that might even be a show stopper. Our head of security said something like that and was told that the problems with Win10 security were SO severe that it would put about 50% of a 300-person work force in "stop work" condition.

We usually had one machine configured and then "ghosted" it to the other machines - but the team preparing "machine zero" was still working on it when I retired, having started on it three months earlier. My young colleague Jonathan N. was doing his best to look like me because he was tearing his hair out over some of the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom