How (1 Viewer)

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
Okay, that may have been me again misunderstanding question. One thing can do is build form/subform arrangement.

Main form bound to Courses, subform bound to local table. Set the subform container Master/Child Links properties. Start to enter data into subform and the foreign key field(s) should automatically populate with the key(s) of main form record. Either don't show the foreign key(s) in the subform or lock textbox(es) so users cannot edit.

Since what you have is a 1-to-1 relationship, might be possible to use a single form that has a query joining Courses and local tables as RecordSource. I have not tried this in a while and don't remember if it works. I will have to try again.

Okay, just confirmed, the query results in a non-editable dataset because there is no defined primary key. It does work with two local tables where one has a defined primary key.

Last edited:

Ports

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:11
Okay, that may have been me again misunderstanding question. One thing can do is build form/subform arrangement.

Main form bound to Courses, subform bound to local table. Set the subform container Master/Child Links properties. Start to enter data into subform and the foreign key fields should automatically populate with the keys of main form record. Either don't show the foreign keys in the subform or lock textboxes so users cannot edit.

Since what you have is a 1-to-1 relationship, might be possible to use a single form that has a query joining Courses and local tables as RecordSource. I have not tried this in a while and don't remember if it works. I will have to try again.

Okay, just confirmed, the query results in a non-editable dataset because there is no defined primary key. It does work with two local tables where one has a defined primary key.

Thanks. I think I understand the logic. Will digest it, try to implement it and report back in a couple of days. Thanks

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 04:11

Ports

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:11
Sorry I have not been back for a month but I've now been given slightly different requirements for this database. It's a bit frustrating but in a way, it's slightly simpler.

Will formulate some questions in the next few days. Will definitely need your help.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good book on database design in general (that would be applicable to Access)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom