Questionnaire- New Record Question (1 Viewer)

aneumey

Local time
Today, 02:54
I am making a survey, using Access 2007, that will be self-administered by participants in a study.

The user moves through the survey as though it was a web survey. Each page is a new form (so the sequence would be Form 1 to Form 2 to Form 3 to Form 4, etc). All data collected from the various forms is saved in one table.

The problem I'm having, however, is that the data collected from the different forms seem to be saved in different records. For example, data from Form 1 will be saved in the table as Record 1. As the user progresses through the survey, data from Form 2 and Form 3 are saved as Record 2. For the rest of the survey, data is back being stored as Record 1.

If I try to open a new record, it will do so for Form 1, but the data that had been previously entered into Form 2 will remain. Is there a way I can open a new record that will carry through for each form?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 01:54
I would think that you are not carrying the primary key of each record for each form.

My recommendation would be to nix seperate forms and just use tabs on a single form.

-dK

aneumey

Local time
Today, 02:54
If this was the case (the primary key situation), how would I make sure the primary key did carry through to each form?

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 01:54
I am still trying to figure out why you would store data from the 2nd and 3rd forms as different records from the 1st & 4th form.

If you are storing this in the same table, would you not have those fields already there? Why not store all 4 forms in the same record? That would be best business practice and meet normalization standards. Again, why bother with four forms when you can just use one form, put on a tab control and have 4 pages on the same form?

If they absolutely positively for some irrational reason have to be in seperate records - I would put them in seperate tables and create a parent/child relationship and then open the forms accordingly.

Tips of normalization, relationships, and form creation can be found in the following links.

http://fisher.osu.edu/~muhanna_1/837/MSAccess/
http://www.techonthenet.com/access/index.php

-dK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom