Deleted Record Re-Appears (1 Viewer)

KeKeR

Local time
Today, 10:45
I have a slight problem.
A record appears to have been deleted by a User in error from a stock table.
I tried to modify the record in the table but the error "record is deleted" will not allow me to edit it.
So i created a new record to ensure we had stock integrity.
Now i want to remove the old "deleted" record from the table.
This is proving most difficult to achieve.

I can delete any other entry from the table, including the deleted one, however as soon as i open the table again the deleted record reappears.

I have removed all of the relationships so that the table is stand alone but still the same thing occurs.

ANYONE ANY IDEAS WHY??? & HOW I CAN RESOLVE THIS

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
things like this sound like corruption (assuming there isnt an errant user still logged in)

take a back up (windows copy)

then try compact/repair
or import everything into a new database

make sure your frontend/backend is split properly. andeach user has his own copy

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 21:45
Can you modify the "deleted one", ie: Change a value and close reopen an see if the values are the same or changed back. Not knowing what code could be running when you open your DB makes debugging tricky. But this should indicate if its a delete question or something else.
You are correct, at a table level with no integral relationships you should be able to delete the record.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
whatever the cause you REALLY do need to get this sorted, without further damage - this sort of thing can easily expand into irretrievable data loss

KeKeR

Local time
Can you modify the "deleted one", ie: Change a value and close reopen an see if the values are the same or changed back. Not knowing what code could be running when you open your DB makes debugging tricky. But this should indicate if its a delete question or something else.
You are correct, at a table level with no integral relationships you should be able to delete the record.

I can change the data in a field in the deleted record but as soon as i try to save it/click away it says cannot modify record is deleted.

KeKeR

Local time
things like this sound like corruption (assuming there isnt an errant user still logged in)

take a back up (windows copy)

then try compact/repair
or import everything into a new database

make sure your frontend/backend is split properly. and each user has his own copy

I have backed it up.
Compact & repair won't allow me to recover design master.
If i try to create a replica it can't make my Tables replicable & fails to convert it to the design master.
Importing everything into a new database is not really practical.
And i can't split the database until the deleted record has been removed it pops up a msg saying record is deleted then stops splitting it.

WIS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:45
I have backed it up.
If i try to create a replica it can't make my Tables replicable & fails to convert it to the design master.
And i can't split the database until the deleted record has been removed it pops up a msg saying record is deleted then stops splitting it.

Is this the only "corrupted" record in the tbl. Is there a PK (Autonumber) eg xxID.

If so run a make tbl qryup to xxID 1 less than the "corrupt" xxID. Add a dummy record at the end of this tbl (to keep the xxID Autonumber in synch). Run a make tbl qry from 1 more than the "corrupt" xxID. Now run an append qry to add the 2nd to the 1st. When happy, delete the orig tbl and rename the new tbl.

Backup the db before you do this.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:45

The fact that your database is replicated is a rather crucial piece of information that you neglected to mention until now.

This sounds like plain old memo pointer corruption, and there's usually no problem deleting such records. If you have RI and there are child records in another table, copy those child records into a temp table or an Excel spreadsheet, delete them, and then you'll be able to delete the parent record. You'll probably want to copy as much of the parent record's data as is viewable before you delete it.

Once you've managed that, you'll insert a new record, copy the deleted record's data into it (manually is probably easiest), and then you can re-insert the child records with the new record's PK as the foreign key.

Once you've done all of that, you need to diagnose why the memo pointer got corrupted.

In replicated databases, the most common cause of this is when a synch takes place on the back end while a user is editing a memo record. In replicated databases, you need to edit your memo fields unbound, or prohibit synchs without exclusive access to both replicas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom