auto populate table fields (1 Viewer)

ElPerson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:42
what do you mean by control?? the table??
and i know that i should choose either one

see the attachment

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-11-03 005011.jpg
    Annotation 2019-11-03 005011.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 95

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:42
i deleted it right now and working on the VBA way

i'll reply later with a screen shot

Thak you

Understood. I was just thinking you might be interested to know why it didn't work. That's all. Cheers!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:42
Textboxes, labels etc are controls on your form.
Back in post #24 you referred to an after update event. Which control was that for? That's where the event code is required.

So use that control name in the code below.
Note that I've corrected your sql though I think your InvoiceDate field is spelt wrongly.

Code:
Private Sub YourControlName_AfterUpdate()

Dim strSql As String

strSql = "UPDATE Sales INNER JOIN Revenues ON Sales.Customer=Revenues.Customer AND Sales.[Date]=Revenues.[Invioce Date] SET Sales.[Paid On] = Revenues.[Payment Date] WHERE Sales.[Paid On] Is Null;"
CurrentDb.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError
End Sub

Also you shouldn't use Date as a field name as its an Access function name. SalesDate or similar would be ok
About to log off as its late here. Hope you get the idea now.

ElPerson

Registered User.
Local time
Textboxes, labels etc are controls on your form.
Back in post #24 you referred to an after update event. Which control was that for? That's where the event code is required.

So use that control name in the code below.
Note that I've corrected your sql though I think your InvoiceDate field is spelt wrongly.

Code:
Private Sub YourControlName_AfterUpdate()

Dim strSql As String

strSql = "UPDATE Sales INNER JOIN Revenues ON (Sales.[Customer]=Revenues.[Customer]) AND (Sales.[Date]=Revenues.[Invioce Date]) SET Sales.[Paid On] = Revenues.[Payment Date] WHERE Sales.[Paid On] Is Null;"
CurrentDb.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError
End Sub

About to log off as its late here. Hope you get the idea now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
it worked great
now how to add a refresh code to this VBA, so it refresh the form after each form update

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:42
Hooray.

To refresh the form, add the line Me.Requery before End Sub

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
it worked great
now how to add a refresh code to this VBA, so it refresh the form after each form update
Congratulations! I knew you'll get it to work. Cheers!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:42
is there any chance to use VBA over my current database??

as i have entered too much data to repeat it
Some competent people just helped you to make a big mistake. When you build your application on a foundation of quicksand, how can it hold up over time? You are new to Access. The experts told you how to solve the problem. You said "no thanks, I'd rather do it wrong" and they helped you. You'll be back with other issues regarding how to change this data now that it is stored in multiple places and someone will help you again.

The amount of data in a table has nothing whatsoever to do with fixing the table structure since the fix would never involve retyping anything. It would be done with a couple of queries. Or, in this case, simply deleting the columns with the duplicated data and replacing the RecordSources of forms/reports with a query that joins two tables. What is relevant is how many queries, forms, reports, and modules you have to change. Even then, it is normally better to take the hit and fix the underlying problem rather than putting on a band aid and closing your eyes to it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Some competent people just helped you to make a big mistake. When you build your application on a foundation of quicksand, how can it hold up over time? You are new to Access. The experts told you how to solve the problem. You said "no thanks, I'd rather do it wrong" and they helped you. You'll be back with other issues regarding how to change this data now that it is stored in multiple places and someone will help you again.

The amount of data in a table has nothing whatsoever to do with fixing the table structure since the fix would never involve retyping anything. It would be done with a couple of queries. Or, in this case, simply deleting the columns with the duplicated data and replacing the RecordSources of forms/reports with a query that joins two tables. What is relevant is how many queries, forms, reports, and modules you have to change. Even then, it is normally better to take the hit and fix the underlying problem rather than putting on a band aid and closing your eyes to it.
Hi Pat. Thanks for the assist. Very well said. However, I would prefer to think of it as not helping the OP "make" a big mistake; but rather, helping the OP "continue" (it's already done) making mistakes. As you may have noted, I tried to offer a proper solution in Post #4; but in the end, it's the OP's database, and we can't force them to do something they don't want to do, right? I think all we can do, sometimes, is just warn them. Just my 2 cents...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I saw that you tried to actually solve his problem rather than put a bandaid on it. You know the old saying - you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. That's what we have here. I just didn't want anyone who came across this later to think that this problem actually got solved.

ElPerson

Registered User.
Local time
I saw that you tried to actually solve his problem rather than put a bandaid on it. You know the old saying - you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. That's what we have here. I just didn't want anyone who came across this later to think that this problem actually got solved.

actually it's Solved, and as you know access is a huge world of opportunities and every thing can be done in multiple ways

i'm new to access and managed to create a great database that do everything i want it to be done, with the help of the GREAT PEOPLE in this forum, so Thank you guys

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you're happy, we're happy. But this forum is searched by many people, even years after the fact. It's not fair to them to think that this is a real solution. The band aid stopped the bleeding. But the bone never got set so your arm is going to be crooked forever. OK.

This isn't just a difference of opinions regarding a "best" technique. This a difference between wrapping your arm in a bandage or actually fixing the break. In the end, the arm will heal. In one case, you'll have limited mobility and strength. Perhaps even be plagued forever with pain. In the other, it will be as good as new.

ElPerson

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Guys
now i am very satisfied with what you guide me to make
I noticed that every time i try to insert a revenue to my database in the form i keep entering the invoice date manually!! while its already inserted earlier in the sales table
in the revenue form i created a combo box which showing only the unpaid invoices using the following

SELECT [Sales Query].Customer
FROM [Sales Query]
WHERE ((([Sales Query].[Paid On]) Is Null))
ORDER BY [Sales Query].Customer;

i there a way to make the invoice date showing only the dates for the customer selected in the combo box?

see the attachment

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-11-04 at 21.10.24.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-04 at 21.10.24.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 91

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Try

FROM [Sales Query]
WHERE ((([Sales Query].[Paid On]) Is Null)) AND Customer = Forms!FormName.ComboName

ElPerson

Registered User.
Local time
Try

FROM [Sales Query]
WHERE ((([Sales Query].[Paid On]) Is Null)) AND Customer = Forms!FormName.ComboName

where to put this formula??

the field is date type

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry, I think I misread the question. You want the date associated with the customer? Would there only be one? In the after update event of the customer combo you could use a DLookup to find the related date. Or if appropriate, include the date field in the combo and get it this way:

http://www.baldyweb.com/Autofill.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom