Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Sports, Health & Fitness

Old 12-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
harpygaggle
Newly Registered User

harpygaggle is on a distinguished road
Best help for depression

How can you help a depressed friend? My friend is always presenting these negative outlooks in life and I feel that these are signs of depression. I am afraid that he might do something harmful to himself.

harpygaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough
Re: Best help for depression

Have him go see a psychologist or doctor to determine if it's 'negative outlooks in life' (which is just being negative) or actual depression - there is a distinct difference.

If it's depression, he'll need appropriate treatment - depression can be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, personality disorders, or even life events, and each cause needs to be handled differently.

Also, don't pass on that 'Depressed? Just go outside!' crap, because all that does is reinforce the misguided belief that depression is just being sad. It reinforces the stigma the disease already has, and causes depressed people to NOT seek help by making them feel even worse (basically, you're telling them to grow up and get over it).

Others will take it from here - I normally am unwilling to contribute to this site, but I couldn't let this one pass.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
bumpcache
Newly Registered User

bumpcache is on a distinguished road

you can help him by supporting him and by listening to him always. you can also accompany him to a therapist

bumpcache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Harper
Newly Registered User
Silver Supporter

Harper is on a distinguished road

The question is: is it primary or secondary depression. Treatments are contingent on that.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,312 Times in 1,237 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Physical exercise is one of the best treatments for both depression and negativity.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #6
harpygaggle
Newly Registered User

harpygaggle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
The question is: is it primary or secondary depression. Treatments are contingent on that.
What's the difference between primary and secondary depression?

Anyway, I also sent him this article hoping he can get some positive things here.
harpygaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Terrible link. It completely ignores the fact that chronic depression tends to stem from medical or psychological conditions and not 'feeling bad about yourself'.

Articles like that just make the stigma that much worse. And the advice it gives will ONLY help if the depression stems from life events and has no underlying cause.

Would you tell someone with a broken leg to just tough it out and go walking? Someone with a toothache to just try eating different food and the toothache will go away? Then why are you telling someone who could well have a life-threatening medical condition to just go outside and play? If his depression is caused by something other than 'just being sad', all that will do is convince him that 'something is wrong' with him and make the depression that much worse.

First step is to see a professional to see what the CAUSE of the depression is, not send him meaningless and possibly harmful mumbo-jumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpygaggle View Post
What's the difference between primary and secondary depression?
A quick Google search would provide you a wealth of information on the subject, but in general:

Primary depression exists on its own and is not the result of another medical or psychiatric condition. It can also be its own psychological or psychiatric issue, such as major depressive disorder. Anti-depressants are sometimes used to treat this kind of depression, as one of the causes is the chemical imbalance in the brain I mentioned previously. Other times, it requires extensive psychiatric or psychological therapy, especially if (as in my case) it's tied to another major personality disorder.

Secondary depression is caused by something else - major negative life events, major diseases such as cancer, psychiatric conditions like schizophrenia, etc. The primary thing is that this was CAUSED, as opposed to happening on its own. This is the type that can often be handled with changing your routine and getting some counseling.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #8
bumpcache
Newly Registered User

bumpcache is on a distinguished road

I agree, let him see a professional

bumpcache is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: