Lost Specific Printer Settings (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:07
This is more of a puzzled search for an explanation than a specific request for help.

About 10 days ago, one of my internally distributed databases lost the printer settings for every report saved in it. This meant approximately 15 reports designed for a set of specific label printers all decided to simply start printing to the default (A4) printer. Initially I thought it was something I had done, as only a couple of the labels were used, so I fixed them. Then another user who had been on holiday ran an update and reported the same issue with a bunch of other customised labels reports.

I hadn't touched most of these reports for months if not a few years, but without fail they all "reset".

Luckily I have a rigorous backup regime and hadn't changed any of the reports, so simply deleted all of them in my master copy and re-imported from a older working backup.

I can't see how this would occur so "silently"? The defective reports all had the same date/time modified (5th October) but I can't tie that down to any local updates or similar activity .

Has anyone any suggestions as to a possible cause? Just so I can try and avoid the problem again. It's a particularly pain in the butt as if you don't have the named label printer attached, you can't easily recreate the correct page setup.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:07
Hmm, that seems suspect. But could it have been because of a Windows update or a Server update that happened on that day?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
WELL, that's a new one! Just another reason I still work on my Windows 7 machine and use my Windows 10 one for *play*.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
WELL, that's a new one! Just another reason I still work on my Windows 7 machine and use my Windows 10 one for *play*.

I don't blame you. My main computer is Windows 7 but I have no choice but to know how to work with the headaches people experience in Windows 10 because they freak out when their reports change to the label printer and vice versa.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks for the feedback.
I pretty sure that isn't the culprit, as this is a saved report option to print to a specific printer regardless of the default printer setting.

I know it normally "sticks" as when I open the correct versions on my dev machine I get the
Code:
"This document was previously formatted for the printer TinyLabel on USB002, but that printer isn't available, Do you want to use the default printer on Office-Xerox12345"
message, this is the normal behaviour.

It's prompted us to revisit how we handle the label printing and probably make users select a printer on application start up and store them locally instead. In fact I might even use a side database to make it "set and forget" for the specific machine\user.

One problem leads to a shiny new solution \ more work :p

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, you might have to do something like...

Code:
    Dim strDefaultPrinter As String
    Dim strPrinterName As String

'get current default printer.
    strDefaultPrinter = Application.Printer.DeviceName
    strPrinterName = "Name of your printer here"

'switch to printer of your choice:
    Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers("PathToDatabase" & strPrinterName)

'Put report print stuff here

'reset defult printer (optional)
     Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers(strDefaultPrinter)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks Gina, I'm investigating that at the moment.

I have always struggled with label printers and changing paper sizes without warning and then being a royal PITA to reset when you don't have access to the specific printer being used.

I'm going to have a mess about with setting a paper size in the report (as in set the page size to the same as the detail section) to see if it makes life easier.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That looks very promising, and will save me a lot of time I suspect.
Thanks again Gina !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom