Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Debates

Old 01-09-2018, 04:28 AM   #16
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough
Re: Am I a troll?

The rise of internet dating has not made it cold, in most cases it bring people closer together quicker..

My two major relationships, one of which I am still in, have been with people I have met on the Internet.

I actually find internet dating harder and more frought with heartache than face to face meeting..

Internet dating is like dating in reverse..

If you meet somebody in a bar / club etc... the Instant attraction kicks in, and you decide in the first few seconds of that meeting if you would like to see them again and get to know them better... then the dating begins...

On the internet, you have a picture, or a series of pictures of somebody, they tell you nothing about the person other than what a 2dimensional picture can tell you, you spend time getting to know the person through words on a page, in some cases getting attached to them through their words... you arrange to meet, and then those 3 seconds kick in...

I have lost count the number of times I had become 'attached' to a person through their words only to meet them and the 3 second rules kicks inand either you decide or they decide it doesnt feel right... either way you have buit up that attachment and it can be difficult to cope with that emotional rejection..

Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 AM   #17
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Anonymity has always led to people being more antagonistic and violent. There's the reason 'faceless mob' has a direct correlation with widespread violence and destruction.

The cute 'internet' version is the G.I.F.T. (look it up, it was an old Penny Arcade comic I can't link from work), while psychologists have studied groupthink and crowd psychology for years. There's even a known tendency for people to be far less helpful in group situations.

The internet has made the issue far more apparent, but it by no means CAUSED this issue - it's apparently built into the human psyche.

FWIW, my behavior really doesn't change, but then again, I have repeatedly been accused of being somewhat autistic. *shrug*
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for agreeing with me guys.

I definitely agree with both of you. If people are going to hide who they are online, it's not because of the technology, it's because of the person. I once met a woman online and decided to meet for a date after many conversations. When we met face to face, something flipped within her. She started crying uncontrollably that she could tell I didn't like her right away. I was a bit dumbfounded, but that obviously made my opinions change on how this would work. I decided online dating wasn't for me. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: