ODBC Refresh Interval - what is it for? (1 Viewer)

Crash_Dark

Local time
Today, 23:55
Hi.

I have a sub-form, which has a query as its data source. The query is based on a linked table from an SQL Server database.

When a user updates the table from a different PC, the data change is not reflected on the PC that I'm using...the subform looks the same until I manually refresh it.

I've tried requerying the subform via code, but this leads to flickering of the display, which is problematic.

I also tried changing the ODBC refresh interval from its default value (1500 seconds) to 60. This seems to have no effect. Even if I open the linked table, it will sit there and not reflect data changed on the server until I manually refresh.

So, does anyone know what the ODBC Refresh Interval actually does? How can I get data changes to appear on my sub-form without making the form redraw/flicker?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Crash

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
From our friends at M$ ;
ODBC refresh interval (sec): The interval after which Access automatically refreshes data gathered through an ODBC connection. This setting takes effect only when the database is shared on a network. Valid values: 0-32,766. Default value: 1500. A value of zero prevents updates.

However - on a SQL table this may not work how you anticipated it. If you open the recordset as a snapshot you wouldn't see the updates without a manual refresh.

Crash_Dark

Local time
Hi Minty.

Thanks for the reply. I'd read that, and expected that if I set the refresh interval to a shorter time (one minute), the subform would pick up any data changes after a minute. Unfortunately, this isn't happening. The subform doesn't refresh until I trigger a refresh manually.

(The subform is set to use a Dynaset).

Has anyone had any experience of this setting (ODBC Refresh Interval) actually making a difference to anything?

Crash

Crash_Dark

Local time
OK, I carried on digging...It seems that the ODBC Refresh will show updated existing records, but does not add new records to the display or remove deleted ones.

I have a link, but haven't made enough posts to add it yet. I'll update this with the link...one day ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom