SQL error in Access query (1 Viewer)

ritco

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:02
I need to determine the last transaction for an item. I have a transaction table that has a date column and a time column. Because I need the max date and then the max time within the max date, a single Access query did not work. I can do it with multiple queries but was trying to keep it to one.
I have the following SQL script which works beautifully in Management Studio. I thought I could copy and paste it into Access query/SQL View but it doesn’t work:

SELECT hbt.PartNum, hbt.TranType, hbt.TranQty, (CAST(Cast(PostDate as DATE) as DateTime) + CAST(PostTime as Time))

FROM [SysproCompany1].[dbo].[HB_TRANSHISTORY] as hbt,

(SELECT max(CAST(Cast(PostDate as DATE) as DateTime) + CAST(PostTime as Time)) as maxPostDate, PartNum
from HB_TRANSHISTORY
Group by PartNum) maxresults

where hbt.PartNum = maxresults.PartNum and (CAST(Cast(PostDate as DATE) as DateTime) + CAST(PostTime as Time)) = maxresults.maxPostDate and hbt.TranType = 1
order by hbt.PartNum
I get the following error:
“Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ‘(CAST(Cast(PostDate as DATE) as DateTime) + CAST(PostTime as Time))’

Does anyone know the proper syntax for this or am I trying to do something that can’t be done in Access in one query?

VilaRestal

';drop database master;--
Local time
Today, 17:02
Access doesn't have a Date and Time data types. It just has DateTime (and it's a very different DateTime to T-SQL).

And it doesn't have a CAST function. Just various data type conversion functions.

These are linked tables I presume, to the SQL server?

If so, why not save the view in SQL server and link to that as a table?

ritco

Registered User.
Local time
I thought the CAST function might be my problem.
Yes, I am running this on a SQL table. I have it linked through an ODBC connection.
I tried to run the query by creating new query (design), closing the show table window without picking any tables and then clicking on SQL View. I then pasted the code in the SQL window and clicked Run...and then, of course, I got the error.
I need to somehow concatenate the date & time columns so that I can get the true 'most recent' transaction.
I may have an item that has two transactions (same transaction type) on the same day but at different times. I need to pick up the latest one.

VilaRestal

Local time
Can you create the SQL into a view in Management Studio? (Do you have permission?) Then link to it as a new table in the database (in effect a query but access will call it a table).

That would save a lot of effort I think and would be server-side processing so more efficient.

ritco

Registered User.
Local time
I can do this as a SQL view and that is probably what my solution will end up being. I am trying to keep as much of the programming logic in Access as I can and keep my links minimal, that is why I did not just go with the view to begin with. I wanted to see if there was a better/more efficient way to do this directly in Access.

ritco

Registered User.
Local time
I do have permissions, I can create the view. It sounds like that's my most efficient solution. Thanks so much for your help!

VilaRestal

Local time
OK, but almost always more efficient to let the server do the querying (unless it's badly short on processor or memory).

If you're used to T-SQL you'll be in for a rude shock when you hit the limitations of Access SQL. It is quite horrible in comparison.

If I were you I'd do all queries in T-SQL wherever possible and would even create an ADO connection in VBA so you can use T-SQL syntax there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom