Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
jane4587
Newly Registered User

jane4587 is on a distinguished road
Re: Limiting Class Size

Pat Hartman,
I have every intention of building this thing myself I just need help in learning how to do it. Even if its a youtube video but I have tried for 5 years building it and learning this database myself and now I have reached the point i need help.

In response to your question about class size: I want to add a 7th child even if the limit is 6. No the student limit is not a field in the class table however I can add it if need be. Basically I have every class we offer and the times in 1 table. They are not separate tables. I have attached a screen shot of my roster table. The childs name auto populates to this table. Will this work for what you mentioned as my "roster" table in your previous message? I want to keep a record of every class lets say child john smith attends even if they drop out of that class i want a record of it. I want to set a limit for kids who status in the class is current. this way i only see kids who status is current and not dropped or something else.
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2019-09-11 180444.png (88.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by jane4587; 09-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.
jane4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,498 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all
Re: Limiting Class Size

If ALL class sizes are ALWAYS the same, you could use a literal value for class size. I don't recommend it but you could. If class size varies by class, then you really need to add a field to the class table so you can hold the limit for that particular class.

If classes are limited in size, then how can you just add more students? If you can add more students regardless of whether or not the class is full, what is the point of maintaining a limit in the first place? It might make more sense to let a human decide rather than the computer. In that case, your roster form can display the number of students currently enrolled and a real, physical maximum beyond which you cannot go. Then the human can decide whether to add the student or start a new class.

A picture of your schema would be more useful. I'm pretty sure that your tables are not correctly defined to do what you are asking to do. Open the Relationships window and arrange the diagram so that all tables are visible and all the fields are showing in every table. It is important that we see everything, if you can't make that happen, then uploading just empty tables will give us a starting place. If you want help moving stuff around and actually normalizing the schema, you WILL need to upload a database because no one will want to retype the whole thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: