Select Specific Record and Updaate (1 Viewer)

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:23
Hi,
I would as Beginner appreciate some assistance.
I have created a database to calculate our Golf Society Scores and I would like to automate Handicap Adjustments (purely a Society procedure). I require to apply a Deduction to 1st, 2nd , 3rd place and apply a Credit to all others, say 0.1.
For this I have created tblDeduct (DedID, DedMemID, DedDate,DedPrize & DedValue).
My thinking that I first update all tblDeduct to the Credit value and then update the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Highest Scores from tblPoints and then update DedPrize to 1st Prize and DedValue to a number value. Again, the same process to 2nd Prize and 3rd Prize, so my query is how to select and update specific record in tblDeduct and based on result in tblPoints.
I hope I have described my problem adequately and placed in the correct Forum category and please do make it as basic as possible or point me to a previous solution and or Sample Database.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Rayh151

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:23
My thinking that I first update all tblDeduct to the Credit value and then update the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Highest Scores from tblPoints and then update DedPrize to 1st Prize and DedValue to a number value.
What that really means is not clear to me. Regardless, that sounds like storing of calculated values, which usually is not recommended. Perhaps your forms/reports should be applying a factor (handicap value or whatever) to the value (score?) in question and displaying the result. This will help avoid issues that can arise when calculated data is not properly adjusted when parameters change.

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron,
Thanking you for your prompt response.
Yes – I do understand the difficulties in outling both the project and methods to be considered in such a brief forum.
So let me be brief. I am managing a Seniors Golf Society – tblMembership about 200 members – we hold about 40 events each year and attendances vary from below 10 to over 50 (weather factor in Ireland). Each event requires update of Handicap of Deduct to 1st, 2nd and 3rd, plus credit to remainder.
Credit to all default value OK, but update to Deduct value for 1st, 2nd and 3rd and based on results from tblPoints my problem.
Hope this makes sense and thanking you in anticipation.
Rayh151

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, no. I'm somewhat of a duffer myself but can't understand this situation. Maybe if you show some raw data plus the desired outcome it would help.

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron,
Once again thanking you.
I now attach copy of todays tblDeduct, both pre and post my manual update and hope this can clarify what I am trying to achieve.
Thanking you
Rayh151

Attachments

• tblDeductPostUpdate.JPG
    tblDeductPostUpdate.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 63
  • tblDeductPreUpdate.JPG
    tblDeductPreUpdate.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 69

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
So if

DedPrize = "1stPrize" make DedValue = -1.0
DedPrize = "2ndPrize" make DedValue = -0.6
DedPrize = "3rdPrize" make DedValue = -0.3
and this isn't multiplication (e.g. 0.1*-3, or 0.1*-6) it's just a straight conversion; and if you change your mind and alter 1stPrize to 2ndPrize it's just a straight conversion?
If so, you want to do this in a query after the values 1stPrize, 2ndPrize, etc. have been updated? Can be done by calling a function in the query or probably with a nested IFF (which I try to avoid). Question is, is DedValue text or number data, because it matters?

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron,
DedValue is a number of default value 0.1
Regards
Rayh151

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, 1 out of 4 questions is a start.
On a copy of your table, try

Code:
UPDATE tblNameHere SET tableNameHere.DedValue = 
Switch([DedPrize]="1stPrize",-1.0,[DedPrize]="2ndPrize",-0.6,
 [DedPrize]="3rdPrize",-0.3,Nz([DedPrize],0)= 0,0.1)
I'm not sure how Switch deals with Null so that is a guess. I'm also assuming that if DedPrize is Null and DedValue isn't present, you want it to be 0.1
Don't include the line breaks unless you're dumping this into a query sql view.

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron,
Ah - a Function.
Had a bad Tee shot on this hole and ball gone in the rough. Will slow down play and may need to call on Caddy.
Regards
Rayh151

rayh151

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Micron,
Help - what's wrong here?
Regards
Rayh151

Attachments

• tblDeductCode.JPG
    tblDeductCode.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 67

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The # after -1?
Better to just copy and paste expressions rather than posting a picture, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom