relationship of tables and field size (1 Viewer)

DevAccess

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:28
Hello

I have one table field which was having foreign key relationship with other tables and I wanted to field size I removed relationship which it had with other tables in the database.

Still it does not allow me to change the field size. even after deleting relationship with other table.

Please advise.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 06:28
you cannot alter table design on linked tables.

you should be able to delete the link, save relationship, then alter the field size, repair relationship.

if still not working, copy the field to another 'copy' field : MyField2,
delete the old field (and the relationship)
resize new name field, rename new field to old field, reset relations.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:28
You can't alter the table design if any object based on that is open - query/form/report. Check & close other related objects

you cannot alter table design on linked tables.

Not true.
You can modify linked tables easily using code. All of these are possible:
- create or delete table
- add / modify / delete fields
- add / remove primary key
- add / remove indexes

For example this will add a text field size 5 to a linked table:
Code:
Currentdb.Execute "ALTER TABLE MyLinkedTable ADD COLUMN ZZZ Text(5);"

DevAccess

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:28
You can't alter the table design if any object based on that is open - query/form/report. Check & close other related objects

Not true.
You can modify linked tables easily using code. All of these are possible:
- create or delete table
- add / modify / delete fields
- add / remove primary key
- add / remove indexes

For example this will add a text field size 5 to a linked table:
Code:
Currentdb.Execute "ALTER TABLE MyLinkedTable ADD COLUMN ZZZ Text(5);"

No Colin, it does not look like it is working, I removed all the relationship with which was refering to the question table, compacted and close all the objects.

I am getting error message as attached in picture.

Please advise. [please note that this is 2003 database (.mdb) and I am working it with on 2010 access version.

Please advise.

Thanks
Man

Attachments

• RelationShipErrorwithVBA.PNG
    RelationShipErrorwithVBA.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 78

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've never had this problem and assume there is still a relationship somewhere.
Have you checked for hidden tables in the Relationships window?

I doubt it an issue to do with the MDB file though that's easily tested by converting to ACCDB

Allen Browne has an extensive list of useful code here: http://allenbrowne.com/func-DAO.html
Try the DeleteRelationDAO function
HTH

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
currentdb refers to the db where the code is running and so that would be the FE. You CANNOT modify the structure of the linked table in the FE. You need to create an instance of the BE database

Set db = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(Me.txtFullDocName)

in this example, Me.txtFulDocName = the full path to the database that contains the tables I want to modify

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:28
I've run into this exact situation in a split DB. You need to be able to modify the BE because the relationships that are being enforced are where the tables are located. Not the linked tables, but the actual tables in the shared BE.

That usually means down-time if this is a shared BE file. And if so, that ALSO means everyone needs a new copy of the FE file, ...

First, it wouldn't surprise me that the FE needs updating for a BE change, and

Second, if you need to do this sort of thing, you should have a developer FE and BE set aside for testing for exactly this situation.

In that case, you make the changes to the developer FE & BE (AND you carefully write down each change). Then when it all works in the developer copy, you take the system offline, update the production master FE & shared BE, and then put it all back online. But in that case, you either notify every user to download a new copy OR you use one of the many tools you can find in this forum to update user FE files automatically.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I didn't go into all the caveats since I was on my way out. Updating a BE that is being actively shared whether you do in remotely via DDL or by simply opening the shared BE and modifying objects is just plain crazy.

I have an application that is sold to the public and therefore I don't have access to the BE when upgrades need to be made. That means I need to create a programatic solution. Since the user has the choice of using SQL Server or ACE as the BE, I provide a SQL Server script and I also create an Access database that updates the BE to the new version. I leave the SQL Server script to the DBA if that is the client's BE but the Access app they get to run themselves. The first thing the Access app does it to check for the lock file of the BE. If it is there, the upgrade will not run. If the lock file is not there, the app renames the BE so that no one can jump on in the middle of the process. Then it backs up the BE and runs all the various updates on the Be. The final step is to make another backup and then rename the BE back to the original name.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Both Pat and Doc have added important caveats since my last post.

To repeat, you CAN alter the structure of linked tables in the BE using code in the FE.
I have used the idea for many years when running version updates.

Here are two recent examples:
Code:
If CheckTableExists("tblRoutePlanner") = True Then

Set db = OpenDatabase(GetDatafilesFolder & "\UKAddressFinderBE.accdb", False, False, "MS Access;PWD=" & STR_PASSWORD & "")

If CheckTableExists("tblRoutePlanner") = True Then

Set tdf = db.TableDefs("tblRoutePlanner") ' table already exists

'Add EMailSent boolean field to tblRoutePlanner
        If CheckFieldExists("tblRoutePlanner", "EmailSent") = False Then
            Set fld = tdf.CreateField("EmailSent", dbBoolean)
            fld.DefaultValue = False
            tdf.Fields.Append fld
            Call SetPropertyDAO(fld, "DisplayControl", dbInteger, CInt(acCheckBox))
        End If
   End If     
End If

The CheckFieldExists function ensures that the code doesn't error if run more than once

In the next example, the code also handles different backend databases depending on the licence type
Code:
 If CheckTableExists("PostcodeDistricts") = True Then
        'select correct datafile for this licence type
        Select Case strLicenceType

Case "Tablet"
            Set db = OpenDatabase(GetDatafilesFolder & "\TPostcodes.accdb", False, False, "MS Access;PWD=" & STR_PASSWORD & "")

Case Else
            Set db = OpenDatabase(GetDatafilesFolder & "\Postcodes.accdb", False, False, "MS Access;PWD=" & STR_PASSWORD & "")

End Select

Set tdf = db.TableDefs("PostcodeDistricts") ' table already exists

'Add Sectors text field
        If CheckFieldExists("PostcodeDistricts", "Sectors") = False Then
            Set fld = tdf.CreateField("Sectors", dbText, 255)
            tdf.Fields.Append fld
        End If

'populate Sectors field (using a separate function)
        AppendDistrictSectors

End If

I have other examples where fields are modified or deleted. Also examples where linked tables are created or deleted

However, in all such code, the BE must not be in use by others at the time.
In addition, any relationships affecting the linked table(s) need to be broken and later re-made.
IIRC, that can also be done using code from the FE.. but I would need to check that as its been a long time since I've needed to do it.

As mentioned by Pat, I also do this using SQL scripts for SQL backends where the process is easier still.
You can use SSMS to create the script for you

In both cases (Access or SQL BEs), the new FE with the links to updated tables will then need to be distributed to all users

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom