"There is no object in this control" (1 Viewer)

polop

Local time
Today, 07:36
Hello, I am having a lot of trouble with 2003 access database made for the company I am currently working on. As we are migrating all the data from our local servers to cloud storage, I got a task to make the old access database work in the new work environment.

Front end DB in the users PC and backend DB in cloud server. Originally the database was stored on Windows server 2003 where many users could use it at the same time. However, whenever im trying to run front end from my own PC (windows 10) and the backend from cloud, i am getting error "There is no object in this control".
In the references I can't find anything marked as missing.
- Access 2003 and runtime is installed in the PC.
- Tables linked from the correct path, however when linking, 2 tables seem to be missing.
- I've tried to run the db on 2007/2010/2016 access, which gives the same result.
-Installed everything i've found originally in the database folder ( comctl32.ocx , dbcocx32.ocx )

Do i have to link front end from the back end database too or am I missing specific control files? I've spent over 50 hours on this DB revival nonsense and I am completely lost.

polop

Local time

Attachments

• haltexsystem.PNG
    haltexsystem.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 191
  • error.PNG
    error.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 344

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:36
What is this "Cloud" storage?
You would need to ensure a number of things;
a) Can Access actually connect to it? How are you trying to connect the tables ?

b) If it can connect is the response time / connectivity going to work with Access reliably? Access isn't designed to be WAN friendly.

polop

Local time
I am talking about pCloud to be exact, you could basically call it renting storage for your files. The cloud storage works almost in the same manner as a regular server, except the files are stored in provider servers. For example i can see the P:\ drive in my computer, which refers to the cloud storage, there I can access all the files, except the files do not take up any space on computers physical hard drive. I dont see why access cannot work with it, meanwhile all the other file types do work - excel for example. However multiple users inserting new data could cause problems, but the database will be used only to view existing orders. So connection reliability is not that important.

I am connecting the databases by linking tables in the table link manager. (see photo) part marked with yellow are old links from original server. I cannot remove these links nor update them somewhy.

I do get the same error even if frontend/backend are both on my computer.

Attachments

• linked.PNG
    linked.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 277

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:36
I will repeat what I said - Access doesn't play nice over a WAN, and trying to open shared MDB backends from the shared folder over a WAN will fail, plain and simple.

They way Access talks to the backend requires a fast and continuous connection. What sort of Ping times are you getting from the cloud?

polop

Local time
Okay, Lets try to fix it on my local computer then. With both front-end/back-end on my computer. How do i fix the controls error? If I cant do it on cloud, I need it working at least locally.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
If you can get into debug mode when that happens, you can open the Locals Window. If you are doing something to block getting into the code window, temporarily unblock it.

In that window, you can see the form's objects including the Controls collection. They are grouped together and for most of them, the collection's internal name for them (usually Item 1, Item 2, Item 3, etc. ) will be on the left and the control type will be on the right. Types will likely look like Variant/Object/TextBox, Variant/Object/ComboBox, etc. Look for an anomalous control that doesn't tell you what the others tell you.

EDIT: The form shows up as "Me" and you have to click on the little plus sign in the box next to it to expand it to SEE the Controls object. Click on THAT little plus sign to expand again. YOUR name for the offending control cannot be seen until you expand the individual Item by clicking the plus sign. If you CAN identify the offending item, expanding it will show you ALL of its properties including any errors encountered when the Locals Window tries to format those properties. Some of them will look odd because the template used for that display includes ALL POSSIBLE properties. But you are looking for errors in a property that don't occur for your more normal controls also on that form.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom