Eliminate some records from query (1 Viewer)

anirbas

Local time
Today, 10:18
Hello,

I have a database where I am tracking employee training along with the curricula assigned to each job function. I have successfully created tables and queries to document the training events themselves, but where I am struggling is creating a query showing the training progress as it relates to the assigned items.

In the query I have been able to show the employee and the training requirements assigned to them, but if an employee has more than one job function assigned to them, the same requirement may be assigned multiple times. I only need to see it once. Everything I've found talks about removing duplicates, but they are not true duplicates since one of the fields is different.

I have attached an image of the current query design. Of the 'duplicate data' the only field that is different is the JobTitle with the potential for Department to be different as well - all the others would be the same.

How can I get the query to only show one record per employee and SOPNumber?

Thank you!

Attachments

• qryCurricula.jpg
    qryCurricula.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 61

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 16:18
I m currently working on a SOP-manager but I made many choices different from yours.

1. Training requirementes follow a position/job at a given department. Same job (of same title) can have different requirements in 2 departments.

2. Training completion follows an employee - i.e. a list of SOp revisions someone is approved on.

3. SOP's - in some industries - have a predefined duration. When expired a new revision of that SOP must be issued and the employees trained.
¨
4. So I define a requirement as having to pass a given SOP. Each SOP then has list of one or more revisions, with different ValidFrom and ValidTo dates ( a ValidFrom date is in fact given by the ValidTo date of the preceding revision). So as training history I log employeeID, date of completion and RevisionID

3. Your jobDetails and jobResp seem a mix of the same thing - what differs?

4. You also speak of proficiency level: is that attained in one shot or at multiple sessions (that would then need recording, presumably.

Work on your data structure and make up a SOP or two and some employees, to get a feel for how it works.

anirbas

Local time
Perhaps I didn't explain very clearly -

I do have data in the database and overall things seem to be working.
JobResp is being used to assign a specific group of SOPs to an employee and JobDetail is assigning the group of SOPs to a JobTitle.

Aside from showing the same procedure multiple times (only when that procedure has been assigned to an employee more than once) the data structure has been working fine.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 16:18
No you didn't. Your structure will bite you sooner or later.

1. Fx. you have Departments all over the place - what is the reason for that?

2. Where do you log someone attaining a requirement? You do that without any date? So dates are not required?

3. You have not answered whether each training is a one shot or stretched over multiple (intermediate) sessions to attain proficiency level.

If you do not answer questions I cannot help you.

anirbas

Local time
This is just a snapshot of the database, not all of it. There are separate tables that contain information for specific training events including dates and proficiency levels - and yes, an individual may receive training on the same requirement over time to different levels.

In this particular query I'm not trying to show what people are trained on - just what requirements are assigned to them - ideally with each procedure only being shown once per employee.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom